Select to view content in your preferred language

Accessing existing .sde and .ags Connection Files in ArcGIS Pro

Jump to solution
10-10-2014 07:48 AM
JoeFlannery
Regular Contributor II

Does ArcGIS Pro have an ArcCatalog-like function for Folders, Databases and GIS Server Connections that I am missing?  I open an ArcGIS Pro map and see the “Project” window with Folders and Databases and Toolboxes, etc. for that particular map project.  But, if I want to connect to an enterprise geodatabase, I must use >Insert >Connections to add a SQL database connection and that database connection does not persist to my next map project.  So I need to re-connect to my enterprise geodatabases everytime I make a new map?  Also, it appears that ArcGIS Pro does not recognize and use existing *.sde and *.ags connection files.  Is this true?

OK, then I will open ArcCatalog stand-alone beside ArcGIS Pro and bring data into my Pro map that way. Nope – one cannot drag & drop any kind of featureclass, shapefile or ArcGIS Server services from ArcCatalog into any place in an ArcGIS Pro map.  Really?

If I am wrong about this functionality, I would certainly welcome any guidance or direction.

Thank you.

15 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Just fyi, It seems a copy-paste of the URL when not logged in typically works.  If you are logged in, then is seems to bring an error for others.  At least that is the behavior I've seen in the past.

0 Kudos
KevinHibma
Esri Regular Contributor

Has anyone tried Project Templates?

Start a new project. Add a map or scene, regularly used folder connections or databases and anything else you want direct access to.

Next time you make a new project, don't use a blank one, select the template you previously made and give your new project a name/location.

You should start with all the items you setup from before.

More information here.

Please don't consider this a dismissal of the original idea/ enhancement, I'm just offering alternatives that can move you towards your goals, today.

ClarkLangridge
Occasional Contributor II

I appreciate the thought; the problem is that I'm testing this for (eventual) use by ~250 users, each with their own individual connections to our SDE and differing ArcGIS Server connections.  Trying to keep that maintain that many templates is just not feasible.

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

[/beating a dead horse]

Is there a way to find out how much consideration some of these ideas get? Or maybe when they get implemented?

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Not that this fully answers your question (or is this the topic of the thread) but at least some info re ideas is listed on the ideas landing page

image.jpeg

I'm sure all ideas are reviewed, since this is currently the suggested way we submit things, and the higher the promoted value, the better chance. But I'm sure actual bugs are given higher value (one would hope anyway).  I'm sure these ease of implementing with out messing with other feature also weighs heavily as to whether/when something is or isn't implemented.

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Rebecca, I supposed I shouldn't have hijacked this thread with a completely different topic, but I appreciate your reply! This makes sense.

0 Kudos