A Cliped shapefile in the Layout of the display problem

05-22-2022 10:51 PM
Labels (2)
AlvisDou
New Contributor III

XYDou_0-1653284569120.png

As the picture shows , I cropped a polyline file of the river and drew it inside the layout, but whenever I reopen my project file, or switch to another page and go back to the layout, the river is always not fully displayed (only the part inside the red box is displayed), I can make sure that I cropped the area much larger than my layout paper size. Every time I need to turn off the river layer and then turn on it again, it will show all the rivers in the layout page completely.
I thought it was a GDB problem, but when I put the shp in a normal folder, he still has the problem. I checked my display settings and everything is fine, no limitations due to display ratio or scaling.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi XYDou, 

I'm not sure I understand your issue. I'm not sure by what means you "cropped" the line layer. What steps did you take to "crop" this layer? 

If by "cropped" you mean the layer is being "clipped" via Clip Layers and the red rectangle displayed in the screenshot you provided is the extent of the clipping then I would expect the layer to only to display features that fall within the red rectangle. If you want features to draw beyond the clip extent you can exclude the layer from clipping. This option is available in the Clip Layers dialog.

Checked layers will not be clipped.Checked layers will not be clipped.

An important thing to keep in mind is that Map Views and Map Frames on a layout can have different spatial extents - even though they point to the same underlying map. Therefore, the spatial extent of the map frame may exceed the spatial extent of the map view in which you may have set the layer clipping extent. This, along with aspect ratio changes in the map view window and the shape of the map frame, can lead to differences between the two.

You may want to consider setting the layer clipping on an activated map frame on the layout (select the map frame, right-click to get to the menu and choose Activate). In this way it is the spatial extent and aspect ratio of the map frame that is defining the clip boundary. 

Keep in mind that layer clipping is a map property that will be applied to all views (including map frames) that reference this map. 

Here are some help topics that might be useful:

Work with a map on a layout

Map frame constraints

Set the map extent

I hope this helps,

Tom

0 Kudos
AlvisDou
New Contributor III

Thanks for your reply. I’m sorry of my unclear description. 

It should be Clip, a tool in the toolbox, not Crop. And, I didn’t use the Cliper Layers of the layer properties.

I draw a picture to explain my mean as shown below. What I would to tell is, I clipped the river line.shp (yellow line) with a big rectangle (the green), which is bigger than the white paper. So the clipped river line should be shown as the purple line, but it didn’t, it shown in the red rectangle as the blue line. I didn’t know why there is a error range smaller than the paper, however, the red rectangle is not real exist in the layout, I draw it to show you the existing range of blue line.

96002FAE-FCD9-4535-BC59-34675C7442C1.png

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Ok, so you are using the GeoProcessing (GP) Clip tool to clip the line layer.

You state "Every time I need to turn off the river layer and then turn on it again, it will show all the rivers in the layout page completely." This leads me to believe that there may be a synchronization issue with drawing GP output in the map frame.

I can do some manual testing on my end to see if I can reproduce the issue, however without steps and data I may not be able to reproduce your specific issue.

Can you contact Esri Support? They are better equipped to handle troubleshooting steps and gather bug data. They can be contacted at https://support.esri.com/en/contact-tech-support.

In the meantime, you may want to consider Layer Clipping as a workaround for your layout.

Tom

0 Kudos