2.9.5 patch crashing when accessing OLE DB tables

10-25-2022 04:46 AM
arahman_mdmajid
Occasional Contributor

The process was working fine where we were useing MS Access DB (.accdb) by adding a OLE DB connection and then exporting the table to point features.onto the Map.

However, after applying the new patch 2.9.5, the process is causing ArcGIS Pro to crash. we are able to add the OLE DB connection and able to see the table in catalog pane, however when we are trying to drag and drop the table into the contents or trying to export it, the application is crashing.

Kindly look into the issue and let me know if you need further information to recreate the issue.

Abdur Rahman
GIS Developer
21 Replies
DarinaTchountcheva
Occasional Contributor II

Thank you for your reply Robert, 

The data that I use from the .odc connection is the main reason for my project. If I remove that data, I have no project. 🙂 

I can't move to version 3. I run a lot of Python scripts on the 2 machines that I have available and 3 will most likely break the scripts. Upgrading the scripts will take a while.

I opened a case with ESRI and the analyst suggested to install .Net Framework 4.8.1 and remove patch 5, since I can't upgrade to 3. But, unfortunately, the installation of the framework was blocked with the message that it is not supported on this OS (Windows server 2019), go figure. So, that is not going to work. 

I uninstalled patch 5 and I can open the projects. 

Since my maps were imported from MXDs, I can, probably make all necessary symbology changes in ArcMap and import the maps to Pro after I am done. Then publish the services from Pro 2.9.4. 

Hopefully, there will be a solution soon. 

0 Kudos
JohnBrand
New Contributor III

I am in a similar situation where I can have an OLE DB connection using Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers, but as soon as I try to add a table to my map the program crashes.  Can't move to 3.0 per our IT department.  Can't move backwards due to known symbology and snapping issues with previous versions.  Pretty aggravating.

0 Kudos
PaulHoefflerGISS
Occasional Contributor III

Esri has released numerous bad patches in recent months across ArcGIS products, often pulling the patches and replacing them with fixed patches of the same name/number. In the past sometimes they were named as "B" patches, which was clearer than replacing a bad patch with a fixed patch of the exact same name.

Why hasn't this patch been fixed and replaced, or why isn't there a 2.9.6 patch that addresses this and any other defects/regressions introduced with patch 5?

JoyDRoberts
New Contributor III

An additional fun behavior is that in Catalog View, even clicking on the Databases item crashes Pro 2.9.5.

We can't go to 3.0.x because we're a UN shop. Can't go back to 2.9.x because of the symbology bug. So, seems like I have to go back to 2.8.8 (the last stable version I used prior to upgrading) and recommend that all the other users downgrade too? This is NUTS. 😞 

PaulHoefflerGISS

I don't know that anything related to this ongoing defect introduced with Patch 5 has been addressed, but have you tried Patch 6 (2.9.6)? Might be worth a shot before rolling back to 2.8.8....

0 Kudos
DarinaTchountcheva
Occasional Contributor II

I did not find this bug in the fixes for Patch 6. 

I escalated the bug and this is what I received from ESRI:

Bug fixes are addressed in upcoming releases or general patches, or they may be addressed as ad-hoc fixes. Enhancement requests are implemented in upcoming releases.

Updates have been made to the following defect which you are associated with:
BUG-000153421 - Adding a Microsoft Access database table to a map from an OLEDB connection in ArcGIS Pro 2.9.5 or 2.9.6 causes the program to crash.

Alternate Solution:

Use the following ArcGIS Pro versions as this issue does not occur there:

• Versions prior to ArcGIS Pro 2.9.5.
  • ArcGIS Pro 3.0 and above.

It says it is in product plan, so I hope for a resolution soon (if I understand this correctly).

PaulHoefflerGISS

It sounds like those who can upgrade to Pro 3.0.3 will find resolution to BUG-000153421 that way.

Others could uninstall patches to get down to 2.9.4. Anyone taking the second approach will want to be aware of a significant issue that pushed many users into the bad 2.9.5 patch in the first place: 
https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-documents/recent-microsoft-net-update-resulting-in-arcgis/t... 
There is information about a .NET-specific work-around in that post or the comments of that post that could be used to make 2.9.4 fully functional.

0 Kudos
Kniwwel76
New Contributor

Same for me! 😞

0 Kudos
Paul_Adamson
New Contributor
Does anyone know if this has been resolved with version 3 and its associated patches?

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Paul - I'm seeing the bug fix is in the ArcGIS Pro Product Plan but do not know when.  Hopefully soon!

0 Kudos