2.7 Stuck on Initializing After Update

Jump to solution
12-22-2020 11:50 AM
RonaldHuettner
New Contributor II

Updated from 2.6 to 2.7 and now Pro won't start. It goes to the splash screen and says Initializing but goes no further.

Also did a uninstall/install outside of the program and it made no difference.

Re-installed 2.6 and 2.6 works fine. Don't think I have any addins.

0 Kudos
19 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I guess people missed this announcement

Windows 7 support ended on January 14, 2020 (microsoft.com)

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
BennyWhite
New Contributor II

I think a lot of people, including myself, are acutely aware that Microsoft no longer supports Windows 7.

In my case, the graphics chip on my server's motherboard will not support DirectX 9 so I am unable to upgrade to Windows 10.

It would have been helpful if ESRI had included Windows 10 as an item in the System Requirements list so that those of us, like me, who are locked in with Windows 7 machines but tried to update ArcGIS Pro to 2.7 could have avoided wasting our time.

DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

ArcGIS Pro 2.7 system requirements—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Supported operating systems

No 7  Limitations on server versions as well

Check your computers ability to run it

The only information missing is when you update from within Pro. 

Something I don't recommend for a minor release.

You should notify the help documentation people indicating that this information is in error for the 2.6 to 2.7 minor release (there is a Feedback on this topic link on the bottom right of that page.

Releases and patches—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

I will also flag @KoryKramer to see if he can look into it further

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Hi Dan,

What information do you think is in error for the 2.6/2.7 documentation?  Let me know and if something is wrong or missing, we can look into it!

The last time I see Windows 7 mentioned in the system requirements documentation is for ArcGIS Pro 2.4 and it has an asterisk: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/2.6/get-started/arcgis-pro-system-requirements-2-4-0.htm

* ArcGIS products will not be supported on Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2 after January 2020 due to Microsoft’s extended support for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 ending on January 14, 2020. Esri highly recommends you plan to move to a later version of Windows well before the January 14, 2020 date.

As such, Windows 7 is not mentioned at all in the 2.5, 2.6, and 2.7 system requirements.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I don't think it is in error.. but I suspect other people may feel it is. 

they have also missed the notice that python 2.7 is no more and arcmap is end of the line at 10.8

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
RonaldHuettner
New Contributor II

I think the gripe is that Win 7 had been working fine through Pro 2.6 but stopped in 2.7. But we would have no way of knowing that. Likely more than a few of us have spent a lot of time uninstalling, re-installing and troubleshooting to no avail.

0 Kudos
PhilipMcPherson
New Contributor

Agreed. Burned a couple of days trying to get 2.7 working on Win 7.

0 Kudos
TerryIffland
Occasional Contributor

I'd suggest  the installer be updated to check for Windows 10 and stop the install before proceeding. Some of us don't have the option to be able to update to Windows 10 yet. 

I used the in-app update from Pro 2.6.  There was no indication of the prerequisite.  Based on what I'm seeing here, this is impacting lots of users.

JimMcKinney
Esri Contributor

Good comments in this thread, and sorry for the inconvenience it has caused you.  We were not actively warning or blocking any version of ArcGIS Pro on Windows 7, as Pro generally continued to work well on Win 7.  With Pro 2.7 this is no longer the case.   We have messaged beginning with Pro 2.4 that Win 7 is no longer supported,  but it was missed by folks and that is of course understandable.    As such,  we are planning to actively warn and block install of Pro 2.8 on Win 7.   And we are looking at the feasibility of  incorporating this warn / block into an update of Pro 2.7.     Again,  sorry for the inconvenience it has caused you,  our team is working on making this a better user experience

0 Kudos
ingarchsf
New Contributor

I have the same problem with AGP 3, or maybe a really similar one: the splash show "initializing" and then nothing.. It quits and nothing starts..

The solution doesn't work for me.. Checking Windows 10 Task Manager, the Green Leaf is always appearing besides AGP process..

Checking Event Monitor, something crashes and the error is 0x3c58

0 Kudos