2.6.1 - field calculator with selection, dangerous bug

Jump to solution
09-22-2020 01:24 PM
danbecker
Occasional Contributor III

Is this expected behavior on 2.6.1? This is VERY DANGEROUS.

1. Select a record in attribute table. Right click on field, calculate field, specify a string to calculate, hit APPLY
  2. make sure and leave the field calculator floating window open
  3. change the selection in the table to a different record
  4. the field calculator window is already open, don't change anything except a new string to calculate, hit APPLY or OK, doesn't matter

Notice what happens…you would expect that the record selected in step #3 would be calculated, i.e. the one currently selected, but it actually calculates the formally selected record, i.e. the selection in step #1.

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Can you share the FC as an *.xml Workspace document so I can test on my side?  If so my email address is rleclair AT esri dot com

Thx!

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I can't replicate.  Clean install of 2.6, 2.6.1 updated on top of it.  Local fgdb table.

... sort of retired...
danbecker

I created a new FGDB on local C, created new poly feat class with 1 field. Digitized 2 non-overlapping polys.

Same result, the incorrect record is calculated, just like the initial steps.

So, this has nothing to do with the location of the FGDB (local vs. network share)

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Followed the same "create a new FGDB on local c, created..." and can't replicate either.  Strange...

0 Kudos
danbecker

Win 10 Pro is fully updated, version 2004

Win. control panel, uninstalled Pro, then rebooted.

Clean install 2.6, opened the same Pro project as before, then the same local C:\ FGDB, the problem still persists.

Installed 2.6.1 patch atop 2.6. 

Created a new blank project, accessed the same local C:\ FGDB, problem solved

Closed new blank project.

Opened same Pro project as before, then the same local C:\ FGDB, the problem still persists. 

Removed all items in geoprocessing history (147 of them), the problem still persists.

Edit: testing continues..

Created new Pro project using an existing template we had.

Had 2 instances of Pro open, the problematic project from above and the new one. I then copy/pasted the Pro map over to the new Project.

In the new project, I now have the original map from the old project. I Field calculated the same local C:\ FGDB, the problem still persists.

Created a new blank map in the new Pro project, I Field calculated the same local C:\ FGDB, problem solved

So, this bug is related to the Pro map,  project, which makes sense, because my Collegue and I are working on the "same" project/map. He opened the original and did a SAVE-AS, I'm still using the original.

Edit: finally figured out the bug, it's related to a Hosted Feature Layer being present in the map.

Steps to test attribute calculation:

1. Select a record in attribute table. Right click on field, calculate field, specify a string to calculate, hit APPLY
  2. make sure and leave the field calculator floating window open
  3. change the selection in the table to a different record
  4. the field calculator window is already open, don't change anything except a new string to calculate, hit APPLY or OK, doesn't matter

Steps to Repo the issue with calculating attributes when HFL is present in the map:

1. Create a new blank pro project. Insert a new blank map. Add a single FGDB layer to the map.
  2. Perform the above "Steps to test attribute calculation". Everything will work as expected.
  3. Add a HFL to your map. We use Enterprise, I have not tested AGOL HFLs.
  4. Perform the above "Steps to test attribute calculation". You will see the problem where the incorrect record is calculated.
  5. Remove the HFL. Perform the above "Steps to test attribute calculation". You will see the problem where the incorrect record is calculated.
  6. Once the HFL is added, even after it's removed, the attribute calculation problem persists. It's not corrected until you create a new map.
0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Thx for the update Dan - glad it worked out properly with a new project file.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Working with Dan directly, I was able to repro this issue.  Short story is a hosted feature layer published from Survey 123 Connect and then added to a Map View in ArcGIS Pro will cause this calculation error seen by Dan.  I've reported it to Esri Support Services as a BUG.  More to come.

0 Kudos