Select to view content in your preferred language

Use the Copy GP tool to copy data to a different workspace

04-26-2024 12:51 PM
Labels (1)
Bud
by
Honored Contributor

ArcGIS Pro 2.9.5; Oracle 18c 10.7.1 EGDB:

I want to copy an annotation FC (and all it's related FCs) to a file geodatabase. I want to do this in a model, not via copy/paste in Catalog.

Copy (Data Management)

Any data dependent on the input is also copied. For example, copying a feature class or table that is part of a relationship class also copies the relationship class. The same applies to a feature class that has feature-linked annotation, domains, subtypes, and indices—all are copied along with the feature class. Copying geometric networks, network datasets, and topologies also copies the participating feature classes.

It looks like the Copy tool can't copy to a different workspace, unlike copy/paste in Catalog.

Bud_0-1714160839219.png

ERROR 000979 Cannot copy between different workspaces.

Could the Copy tool be enhanced so that data can be copied to a different workspace? For what it's worth, the documentation doesn't mention this limitation. https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/2.9/tool-reference/data-management/copy.htm 

Use case:

7 Comments
MargaretCrawford
Status changed to: Needs Clarification

Hi @Bud,

The Copy tool is equivalent to copy/pasting on the catalog pane. But something I noticed in your screenshot is that you did not provide a name for your output data. Could you try providing a name for the annotation fc?

In our quick testing, I could get the same error if the output was going to a gdb without specifying a name.

Bud
by

@MargaretCrawford 

Yes, specifying a FC name worked. Thanks.

Bud_0-1715210571125.png

Or, at least, I think it would have worked under normal circumstances. I have a known Shape Integrity Error issue with this FC.

Bud_1-1715210670404.png

Esri Support Case: 03623136 - Copy GP tool: Misleading error message when only the GDB path used in Output Data parameter

ERROR 000979 Cannot copy between different workspaces.

That error message is misleading. The problem is the FC name is missing. It has nothing to do with copying data to a different workspace.

Is that error message a bug?

BBicking1

An Esri user posted the same question yesterday through Help Feedback.

The exact response quoted by @Bud I gave to that Esri user.

BBicking1_1-1715368004874.png

It circled around [quote] "I want to copy an annotation FC (with related FCs via relationship classes) from an Oracle 18c 10.7.1 EGDB to a file geodatabase.".

Oracle to fGDB copying works --- they are the same type of workspace.

To clarify, copy/paste in the Catalog pane does not copy between different workspaces.

BBicking1

I also want to clariify how ERROR 000979 comes to be:

In Bud's screenshot we see only the data names, for both Input and Output, not the full data path. [Yes, data can have a period in their name].

BBicking1_0-1715376828026.png

In this screenshot we see the full data path

BBicking1_1-1715376917040.png

The Output Data path results from  pasting a Copy Path. The paste replaced Copy's default generated output path.

According to this screenshot the input 'clip' FC would be copied from a fGDB as "test.gdb" to the folder 'inputjson', two different workspace types, thus causing ERROR 000979.

Bud
by

From Esri Support in case #03623136:

When you work with file geodatabases in Windows Explorer, for example, have you ever found that Windows treats the file geodatabase like a folder?  In essence, it is a folder which contains a bunch of files (which in turn make up a file geodatabase).

...the software doesn't know you are specifying a file geodatabase.  Rather, the software thinks you are listing a folder (not a geodatabase)."
DrewFlater
Status changed to: Already Offered

The Copy tool can copy data elements between workspaces of the same type, for example copying a valid annotation feature class from one file geodatabase to another.

The documentation for Copy will be clarified. 

Bud
by

BUG-000167752: Misleading error message returned by Copy tool when only the path the to GDB is input without a feature class name.

The real problem is that there is no feature class name. The error, however, implies that the copy source and target are invalid for use in this tool. The error does not help the user understand what needs to be corrected.