Use Multiple Map Series in Single Layout

01-21-2022 09:34 AM
Labels (1)
DanielMellott
New Contributor II

In working for an Engineering firm, we sometimes have projects that involve long corridors. The ArcGIS Pro map series works good for generating a series of maps along the length of the project. Sometimes, to save paper, layouts are used with 2 or more map frames to capture more project area on each sheet (see attached sample image).

It would be nice if there was a way to associate 2  or more map series in a layout to multiple map frames to automate the production of a plan set.

A descriptive example of such a layout follows: 

• A landscape layout has 2 map frames; one on the upper half of the paper and one on the lower half
  • There is an index map grid along a 2-mile road corridor delineating every 1,500' of the corridor
  • Alternating grid polygons along the corridor represent upper and lower map frames respectively
  • The first map series would be associated to the upper map frame linked to the "odd" index grids
  • The second map series would be associated to the lower map frame linked to the "even" index grids
  • The first page of the overall layout series would have the upper map frame showing 0-1,500' of the project and the lower map frame showing 1,500-3,000' of the project
  • The second page of the overall layout series would have the upper map frame showing 3,000-4,500' of the project and the lower map frame showing 4,500-6,000' of the project
  • An so on to the end of the project corridor

Essentially, a single map series that would normally be 30 pages would now become 2 map series on 15 pages.

Tags (1)
11 Comments
by Anonymous User

I'll just say, Thanks Daniel", as Daniel has described my workflow need perfectly.

I don't want to have to do any scripting or other workarounds. But rather just use fields to select which layout window gets which index box, all sheets in the series then generated automatically.

Thanks all,

Tony

wayfaringrob

I would greatly benefit from having multiple map series frames on a layout. Right now the best alternative is to set up the series on one, and then do your exports one-by-one, manually changing the extent of your second (or third, or fourth, or...) map frame in between. I like to have a locator on some maps and sometimes the extent of the locator needs to change between maps.

MarcelSt-Germain

Exactly what I post many times since v1.0.

I have up to 4 maps in a layout so.... since data driven pages, nothing changes.

Only layout driven pages, not maps driven.  For ESRI, mapseries is only to make a map by the layout and generated many maps from that layout.  Unfortunately for us, cartographers, we need many maps by layout with many extends, rotations and scales.

ZacharyUhlmann1

I'm surprised this is not an option.  One of the big reasons I use ArcPro to create static maps as opposed to QGIS is specifically because Map Series are efficient.  Seems they have the basis to create this functionality.  Same needs as everyone here - specifically:

1. Two stacked map frames with before and after (i.e. 2000, 2022 wetlands)

2. export a map series with each mapframe simultaneously iterating through the same index.

IanPryor1

Excellent idea. We do this frequently as well and it is cumbersome to implement switching between map the map series for one pane and bookmarks for the other pane. It works but is time consuming and not efficient for layouts with more than 10 pages.

ZacharyUhlmann1

I believe this was mentioned in a linked forum post, but this is possible with QGIS Atlas.  Not hard, but QGIS does not have the convenience of multiple maps per project as with Pro.  There can be multiple layouts with each map, but you have to juggle and track the locking of layers in all the QGIS layouts.  The workflow is different and takes experience to get efficient.  Happy to share my experience more in-depth if anybody needs that path.

chill_gis_dude

I can't stress enough how much this would simplify our workflow and probably others as well.

If you think about map series and how there is only so much you can fit on a single page with features and labelling.... The ability to create multiple map frames linked to different map series index layers on the same layout would really elevate the kind of maps we could automate. 

richardelliott

Has anyone found a solution for this ?

MarcelSt-Germain

@richardelliott 

Hi,  like I said in previous post about mapseries, who is more a layout series, the problem is there from the day one of data driven pages.

So, if you want to have two maps, or like us up to 4, in one layout, you can only have ONE map in series.

You have, like in old datadriven pages, to apply the mapseries to one and just using the bookmark for the others, unchecking use mapseries.  But, you can't, for the others maps, use the series with the annotations so, you have a ... on the maps.  Be sure to have the v3 of Pro because before it was not working.

Be patient, we ask for an improvement since the day one of data driven but, ESRI don't care about mapmaking.

Andrus_Nicholas

This functionality would save me a lot of time and hassle.