Time zone toggle in ArcGIS Pro

11-16-2018 09:40 AM
MTaft-Ferguson
New Contributor III

If this older idea cannot be implemented: Option to not use UTC time offset in ArcGIS Online 

Could we instead have the option to set ArcGIS Pro to display time in UTC, rather than in the local time zone of the machine it is running on?

The use case that prompts this request is as follows: an organization has some users with Pro, and many more users who only use ArcGIS Online. These AGOL-only users sometimes create new hosted feature services with time fields. It is not feasible for them to publish these feature services from Pro or ArcMap (which I understand would allow them to  associate the local time zone with these feature services). However, when Pro users then interact with those feature services in Pro, time is displayed in the local time; similarly, if Pro users add features, those features' time attributes are added in local time and so display the "wrong" time in AGOL.

As we are trying to use AGOL + Pro for event management, the four/five hour difference between UTC (displayed on AGOL) and Eastern Time (displayed in Pro) is a potential cause for major confusion. It doesn't matter much to us whether the data is actually stored in UTC or not, but it matters that everyone working on this data see the same event occurring at the same hour, regardless of whether they view it via Pro or via AGOL. 

23 Comments
MikeLachance1

Thanks @TanuHoque that helps me understand that the Preferred Time Zone setting only applies to when you are pulling the service into a map for desktop GIS.

I am working with data that is written by GeoEvent Server. The time originates from the GES dataset as a string and I am parsing it out as I work with the data in a spatially enabled dataframe using the Python API and pandas.

I group a bunch of the data together to compute the average of the reading (it's dissolved oxygen) and I needed to assign it a specific time. I have not specified a timezone when designating the time so I think that is where I am going wrong. I will do that and I believe my data should then correctly display in my timezone even though it will be stored in UTC.

AlekseiPlatushin

Thank you @TanuHoque for sharing this solution!

However, I am having the following error when I am trying to update the definition:

{
 "error": {
  "code": 500,
  "message": "Field 'preferredTimeReference' cannot be updated.",
  "details": []
 }
}

I also noticed that the textbox is already empty when access the Update Definition mode…

AlekseiPlatushin_0-1647663464660.png

What could that possibly be?

TanuHoque

hi @AlekseiPlatushin 

What version of ArcGIS Enterprise you have?