Table of Contents/TOC Formatting

04-27-2018 12:31 PM
Labels (1)
JohnJanzen
New Contributor III

Allow the user to format the items in the TOC to make it easier to find layers in large projects.  If layer and group names could be given unique colors and fonts/sizes, locating the specific layer would be much easier instead of scanning the entire TOC until the right layer is found.  An example would be needing to toggle on/off a specific layer in a utility editing project but with dozens and perhaps hundreds of layers, it would be easier to find the few specific layers you want by finding them by color or font.  Grouping isn't always enough.  Another example is when CAD layers are symbolized by Layer or RefNam.  There can be dozens and dozens of items in the TOC to sift through.  The ability to flag items by color-coding them would be helpful in returning to that specific feature.

9 Comments
lorenzovassalli
I would love to be able to highlight group of layers in the TOC in bold characters or in colors to distinguish layers from group in complex projects.  At present this is not possible and I think ESRI should allows users to make this.
PatriciaSchmidt

And/Or allow layers to be listed alphabetically, as they were in ArcGIS Desktop

KoryKramer

I think that was with production mapping in ArcMap.  Coming in ArcGIS Pro 2.7 (later this year/early 2021) there will be this ability:

So that, along with the already available Filter and Search in the Contents pane should help managing map contents with a large number of layers.

Hope this helps!

PatriciaSchmidt

I use it all the time in regular old ArcMap. Main TOC is List by drawing order, but 'List by Visibility' and List by Selection' are ordered alphabetically by Layer Name as in this screenshot.  This addition to ArcGIS Pro will save time for sure. 

Thanks - PattiArcMap Table of Contents

SDague_FSMAR

It would be nice to have the ability to color code layers within your table of contents of an ArcGIS Pro map by the type of layer.  Web layers could be one color, feature classes would be another color, etc.  This would help when the alias or name for the layer has been adjusted to a generic name and the map includes numerous different data sources.

leahmaps

I ABSOLUTELY second this.  Here are two ways I think this could be done 

Allowing Bold tags/color for the (group) layer of text. For example, if I want to easily see my base data group, I can have the option to make the text bold. 

leahmaps_0-1693399841334.png

Second, add tags similar to what you might see in Microsoft Planner (labels, see this page >). In settings, there could be a way to name your tags that have an associated color. 

For example: 

leahmaps_1-1693400376337.png

This could also allow you to filter your contents/table of contents/TOC by tag.

APBlough

14 years later and we still don't have this wildly simple customization option. There are so many utilitarian uses for this ability. 

ChelseaRozek

It would be awesome if we could color code and do bold or italics on layer names in the TOC. Like how you can color layers in Photoshop to organize your layers.

ChelseaRozek_0-1711055502412.png

MarkLimbruner

TOC Font, Color and Indent options in PRO need a massive upgrade its way too hard to see groups vs their sub-layers.  Can someone from ESRI give us some customization!