Metadata for domains

02-05-2021 02:18 AM
Labels (1)
JohnZachariassen
New Contributor II

Domains have the fields 'Code' and 'Description'.

We experience that different users have different perceptions of the different entries in domains. Therefore we think a more detailed explanation, than the one suitable for the 'Description' field, could assist users in selecting the appropriate values.

This kind of detailed explanation would be suitable for metadata. 

Therefore my idea is to enable metadata for domains in ArcGIS similar to the way metadata works for featureclasses.

The kind of geodatabase domains discussed here are the ones accessible via Data » Domains in ArcGIS Pro.

7 Comments
Bud
by

It would be handy if we could store additional information/columns in GDB domains. So that we could use that additional data in SQL queries, reports, labels etc.

• CODE [domain coded value]
  • NAME [domain description]
  • Additional field: DETAILS

KoryKramer
Status changed to: Needs Clarification

Thanks for submitting the idea @Bud We're going to need some additional details to understand what you're looking for here. Can you describe the problem you're trying to solve along with any examples you might have? 

Thanks

KoryKramer

Thank you for providing additional details, Bud.

So that we could use that additional data in SQL queries, reports, labels etc.
  • CODE [domain coded value]
  • NAME [domain description]
  • Additional field: DETAILS

So for your additional queries, reports, labels, etc. you want to run those directly against a domain table? 

Bud
by

@KoryKramer 

Yes. 

In Oracle, we can select the domain data from the XML system tables as follows:

select
    substr(extractvalue(codedvalues.column_value,'CodedValue/Code'),1,255) as code,
    substr(extractvalue(codedvalues.column_value,'CodedValue/Name'),1,255) as description
from
    sde.gdb_items_vw i 
join 
    sde.gdb_itemtypes it 
    on i.type = it.uuid, table(xmlsequence(xmltype(definition).extract('/GPCodedValueDomain2/CodedValues/CodedValue'))) codedvalues 
where
    i.name = 'PIPE_MATERIALS'

So we can already use the domain data in queries, reports, labels etc.

But what we can't do is store additional information/columns in the domain. 

KoryKramer
Status changed to: Open

Thanks for the clarification, Bud. Re-opening the idea.

cspielman_bouldercounty

@KoryKramer I would love to also get a new field for 'sort order' so that we aren't stuck using the Code and Description and ascending and descending order.  I'd like to be able to control the sort order of domains based on what is most common option at the time (which might change periodically in some applications).  I'm not seeing this ask anywhere yet.

Bud
by

@cspielman_bouldercounty I would suggest you submit a separate idea for that.