Standard Toolbar Docking on Map Side of Table of Contents

10-28-2010 11:57 AM
Labels (1)
StephenSavage1
New Contributor II

In previous versions of ArcGIS, we had the ability to vertically dock  toolbars to the map side of the table of contents.  This appears to not be available in the newest version of 10.  I (and I am sure others) prefer to have that toolbar toward the map window, because that is the area I work in with that toolbar. 

38 Comments
JamesSamek1
Makes sense to have it close to the map view.
JoshWhite
With the TOC on autohide, which is a great enhancement I must add, the tools toolbar has the affect of being on the map side.  You could always put the Tools toolbar on the other side of the screen as well or move the TOC to the other side.  All sorts of options, dont be so close minded. 
AlexanderGray
I like the new docking of windows.  Auto-hide, stacking, visual cues to show where you are docking too, way better than the randomness-fest of docking before.  You would move a window hoping it would dock to right thing and it would do something completely different.  Old docking was the pits.
So here is a better idea, make the toolbars dockable windows, that way you could dock them to the map or another dockable window  or stack it with tabs and it could have auto-hide too.
by Anonymous User
Agreed. Please bring it back!
SonjaWeber
It's fine to have the additional functionality, but please, please bring the vertically docked toolbar between the TOC and map back!! For some of us with repetivtive motion injuries, having the toolbar really close to where my hand already is, is a big plus.
BrittniKilborn
Adding to the consensus to bring back docking of toolbars between TOC and map. With this [seemingly] small change you have totally disoriented my day.  I have had my 'Tools' toolbar docked there for probably close to a decade, a decade ESRI!

Put the code back in and issue a patch...or new service pack....or whatever.....just fix it, please.
KaySimons
I cannot say this enough.....PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE bring vertical toolbars back! I've had 2 toolbars between the TOC and the map for the last 5 years and the layout toolbar on the right side of the map/screen.  It is so much simpler, less cluttered, and less confusing than stacking them along the top (and having to search thru multiple toolbars to find something) or having them float and get in the way!  
RasmusJensen
It is very unfortunate that the vertical toolbar has gone. Having the ability to dock the most frequently used tools right next to where you work is extremely useful.
KevinLiske1
Great googlywooglys!  I thought I had broken something in Arc.  Now I know it's an "improvement".  An improvement which annoys me to no end.
MicheleSlaton
PLEASE bring back vertical docking.  Too much time and eye strain wasted on sorting through multiple horizontal toolbars!