Single-click selection should select all polygons at that location, not just one arbitrary polygon

11-29-2022 02:42 PM
Labels (1)
Bud
by
Notable Contributor

Single-click selections should select all polygons at that location, not just one polygon.

This is how it currently works:

Bud_0-1669761459784.png

One feature is selected (the feature with the lowest ObjectID):

Bud_1-1669761472898.png

This is how I think it ought to work:

All features at that location are selected.

Bud_2-1669761535314.png

It would function similar to the select-by-rectangle tool in ArcGIS Pro, and other selection tools, which select all polygons at that location.

Related: 

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-questions/single-click-selection-only-one-of-many/m-p/12359...

Tags (1)
2 Comments
wayfaringrob

Agree, especially when single clicking just selects a feature that would be seemingly random in practice (lowest OID).

BarryNorthey

I find that the default actuation of a chip that signals that there are overlapping features at that location is useful. I can then select a target polygon from the chip's list. The chip displays the layer's Display Field value helping in the selection of the feature of interest. The default Display Field field seems to be the not so informative OBJECTID field.

BarryNorthey_0-1670010454666.png

Alternately, if the chip appears on a single click, ignore it and drag a tiny selection "shape" at the click location to select overlapping intersected features if that is what one wants.

I guess it's just a matter of preference as both approaches will get you there.