Select Definition Query without selecting layer first

10-14-2020 06:12 AM
Labels (1)
FranziskaSumpf
New Contributor II

It would be great to be able to select a Definition Query without having to select a layer (or several) first. In my map I created Definition Queries for several layers giving them the same name. So when I select those layers I can already set the Definition Queries for all layers at once. However, it would be easier if I didn't have to select the layers, because then I have to remember which layers have a specific Definition Query and which don't. I just want to select a Definition Query and activate it for all layers it can be applied to.

2 Comments
Bud
by

Edited

For my notes, this is the functionality you’re referring to:

Set definition queries on multiple layers at once

If multiple layers share definition queries with a common name, even if the content of the queries is not the same, the queries can be activated for the layers simultaneously. This means you can construct a number of related queries for a certain scenario and apply them all at once. You can then switch to a different set of queries to satisfy a different scenario, if necessary.

To apply definition queries with a common name to multiple layers simultaneously, follow these steps:

1. Ensure the layers are selected in the Contents pane.
  2. On the Feature Layer tab set, click the Data tab.
  3. On the Data tab, in the Definition Query group, choose a query from the Definition Query menu to apply to the layer.

Only definition queries with a name common to all selected layers are shown.

Bud
by

Could you put the layers that have the common definition query name into a group layer to make selecting the layers easier?

Do you have an idea of what the functionality you’re requesting would look like?