Searchable dropdown list in domain fields

02-02-2023 10:51 AM
Labels (1)
FabioLuiz2
New Contributor II

It is inefficient to search for an item in the drop down list when you have more than 10 lines in a domain.

It would be great to be able to filter between 10 variants when typing is started.

9 Comments
SSWoodward
Status changed to: Needs Clarification

Thanks for the Idea, @FabioLuiz2 

Could you help me understand a little more what you mean?

When selecting a domain value in an attribute field, users are able to type to bring themselves to the desired domain value. Domain values are then displayed according to their similarity to the typed input and the vertical slider remains in the dropdown, allowing access to the full set of domain values.

Is your Idea to remove the vertical slider and only display 10 domains when typing to search for a domain value?

FabioLuiz2

Olá @SSWoodward !

Thanks for the question.

When I have a list with a lot of names and I don't know how it's stored in the domain, I'll intuitively start typing. ArcGIS Pro currently selects the line based on the first letter entered, for example:
I type "D" and items with that letter are displayed:

- Distrito Industrial
- Distrito Comercial

But imagine I'm searching for "Industrial" and I get:

- Ibirapuera Paulista
- Island
- Insular East

When the ideal would be for me to start typing "ind..." and the list of my domain is filtered a few suggestions:

- Industrial park
- Vila Industrial Augusta
- Industrial District

This would make choosing fill/change tasks much easier.

This solution is common Excel, Access or as the Filter component of Experience Builder.

I'm sorry I couldn't be clear. I'm using a Portuguese-Brazilian > American English translator.

SSWoodward

Thank you for the clarification.

It sounds like what you are asking for then, is a comprehensive search option in the domain values dropdown, where typing in "Ind" wont just jump to values that start with 'Ind', like 'Industrial', but create a list of domain values that contain the string "Ind" anywhere within them.

Is that correct?

FabioLuiz2

@SSWoodward 

Exactly!

Exatamente!

SSWoodward
Status changed to: Under Consideration

AndreasRunze1

When I want to select a value for a field with an assoziated domain it helps me to get suggestions while I'm typing.

But when I am to slow (e.g. using a outdoor tablet or being not sure about the spelling) ArcGIS Pro suggest the values with the last letter I typed.

It would be great to see the letters I typed the attribute field and to be able to edit it in the same way as it is implmented in an autocomplete combobox in .Net.

There would be no need to reset the typed string anymore as the user has the ability to edit the typed string.

SSWoodward

Thanks for the Idea @AndreasRunze1. It seems like your idea is very similar to the idea I've linked below that is currently Under Consideration. 

Although the linked idea doesn't specifically call out the ability to edit the search criteria, it does ask for enhanced domain value selection in place of the existing simple string matching. Check it out and give it a kudo. 

Link to Idea - Searchable Dropdowns List in Domains field

AndreasRunze1

Yeah, I saw the linked issue and gave it a kudo.

I thought it is better to create a new one rather than comment the exisiting with a slightly different idea.

However, I would be great if both ideas would be implemented ;-).

AllisonTalsma

This enhancement would be extremely helpful. Our organization has a domain list with over 100+ records and this would make things a lot more efficient for staff.