Search box for "Options" ArcGIS Pro

01-27-2020 12:39 PM
Labels (1)
GabrielMarcus1
Occasional Contributor II

Can a search box for the ArcGIS Pro "Options" screen be added, similar to the search box in "Environments"?

It would help me find the appropriate option as opposed to trying to determine if it was under "General" vs "Layout", etc. 

7 Comments
GabrielMarcus1

I see that I already added this as an idea but only got 3 Kudos. 

KoryKramer

@GabrielMarcus1 and others who are following, in ArcGIS Pro 2.9 the Command Search box will support searching for Options.  This should allow you to get to a tab in the Options dialog directly from the UI instead of clicking the Project tab > Options tab to get a search.  Do you have examples of search terms you would use when you're trying to find options?

GaryFitzgerald

Add a search function to the Project Options in ArcGIS Pro. If you know the specific option you are looking for you may not know what section it is in and you have to hunt around through all the options to find what you are looking for. It would be much easier to search for a specific option.

wayfaringrob

Better yet, put the cursor there by default:

rburke_0-1681229413024.png

LawrenceLin

With the Options dialog containing 30+ sub-screens a dynamic search box to quickly navigate to a specific item would be helpful. A similar search box already exists in the main Pro window for commands so mashing them up gives us:

LawrenceLin_0-1682361385961.png

RTPL_AU

Add a search box to the Pro Options window to make it faster to find for a setting.

Current process of " 'Maybe I can change this' > click & scroll & maybe click again to open a sub category > try again incase you missed it"  to find a setting that you hoped Esri had added is not efficient. 

Bonus points to use a lookup library of settings with their American and English equivalents.

Here are all the current categories in which a setting may be. 

Current Settings
Units
General
Map and Scene
Navigation
Selection
Editing
Versioning
Geoprocessing
ModelBuilder
Device Location
Catalog Browsing
Share and Download
Authentication
Raster and Imagery
Full Motion Video
Display
Table
Text and Graphics
Layout
Color Management
BIM
Metadata
Indexing
Location Referencing
Geodatabase Replication
Knowledge Graph
Business Analyst
Proofing
Language
User Interface
Security
3D Input Device
Customize the Ribbon
Quick Access Toolbar

RTPL_AU

@KoryKramer  Using the generic command search is not ideal - it is noisy enough already. When wanting to change a setting I want to go to settings and change them - getting UI flips between map window & options windows can be laggy and confuse users. 

A settings search can be highly optimised outside of the command search.

Settings I use often'ish = Default Font but always forget to scroll all the way down to Text.... The list being sorted alphabetically using the traditional Sumarian river dialect translation of the topic names doesn't help either.
Open a blank project  and search for Font. Is your comment of it working in 2.9 not true for 3.2.2?  All the results are greyed out so doesn't seem like it works currently.

Don't benchmark Command Search with Windows 11 Search. Next thing you'll want insert ads for discounted AGOL credits if we click right now.........

I digress.

RTPL_AU_0-1712801943595.png