Scrolling the attribute table in ArcGIS Pro

07-21-2017 03:30 PM
Labels (1)
GregBazhaw
New Contributor III

When using the scroll bar in an attribute table in Desktop, one can visually browse all the records as they scroll by, even on large datasets. In Pro, when you scroll the attribute table, you get a blank screen with the word "Scanning...". One has no idea where they are in the long list of records, until they stop scrolling, only to discover they need to scroll further, or they scrolled too far. This is terribly inefficient. The Desktop way to scroll works way better. Please implement this method of scrolling for the attribute tables in Pro.

31 Comments
ColeAndrews

Kory Kramer‌ I'm not sure this should be categorized "Implemented" since the request is to mimic ArcMap behavior and not gray out the table and show "scanning". As everyone has pointed out, the additions of a couple values below "scanning" is not an equivalency. If the decision is to not have the proposed equivalency, then the status should be "Not in Current Product Plan".

For those that work in tables all day, using the down arrow keys is far too slow for looking through the table, and the current Pro behavior is sub-par to that of ArcMap behavior. 

HamishMills

I agree that this should not be tagged as implemented, as the actual issue at hand has not been resolved. Scrolling tables in ArcGIS Pro seems extremely limited compared with any other database product I have used to date.

Gerald_Daumiller

I also agree that this should not be tagged as implemented.  I do have a partial workaround - using the mouse scrollwheel makes the list scroll faster than clicking and holding the down arrow control, and allows a little bit better control than pressing and holding the down arrow keyboard key.

There still isn't any option that is remotely as nicely functional as dragging the scrollbar in ArcMap.

ColeAndrews

With the multitude of users identifying this as not implemented, can we get some traction from esri on a response?

ThomasColson

Perhaps a poll.....

ThomasColson

Let's hope this is implemented in 2.5. 2.4 and still the very inefficient "Scanning" display, having to setup display expressions for every table you want to scroll, stop scrolling, see where you're at. Particularly painful to use in attribute tables with thousands of records. Horizontal scrolling is still not working as expected either. Since a substantial portion of editing, data management, qa, and data review occurs in the attribute table, makes sense that future "implementation" address the OP's idea was for scrolling to work as it does in ArcMap

ColeAndrews

Thomas Colson‌, you may try responding to Kory's question about scrolling on this thread:

https://community.esri.com/ideas/16481-see-fields-while-scrolling-through-attribute-table-in-arcpro

ThomasColson

That thread refers to "See Fields while Scrolling Through Attribute Table in ArcPro". 

Are there any updates on when this will be implemented? 

by Anonymous User

This is not directly inline with the original post but at least somewhat related, are others frustrated or have experienced in Pro if you scroll to the right in your attribute table then begin to select rows the attribute table automatically scrolling all the way to the left (to the beginning). I understand a workaround being to reorder your fields that way you can identify values and thus fields to highlight within your current 'view' (ideally all in the beginning of the table), however that can be time consuming and seems like an unnecessary step. If you have reviewing and highlighting fields based off columns at the end of the table you need to continue to scroll back and forth after each manual highlight. Incredible inefficient and time consuming. I am finding little to now information online which is a bit surprising. I don't recall having this issue in earlier versions of Pro, although I could be mistaken. Thoughts anyone?

I am running the latest version of Pro (2.4.1).

PeterMacKenzie2

agree Jared, I experienced the same. It flies back to the left hand side of the table when you have rows selected. Running 2.4.1.