Scale Legend Contents Automatically with change in size

12-13-2017 07:26 AM
Labels (1)
TrippCorbin
Occasional Contributor

In ArcMap if I make a legend bigger or smaller the contents will scale proportionally. This makes it very simple to ensure the legend is legible and in proportion to the rest of the map. In ArcGIS Pro, when I make the legend larger the contents maintain the size they were when the legend was created. They do not automatically scale. I have not found a setting which enables this functionality. You instead must make adjustments to all the various elements within the legend to get them to change size. While this provides much greater control over those elements, it is much more difficult and time consuming. Maybe having a check box to provide the automatic scaling as an option or just make it work like it did in ArcMap. #ArcGIS Pro #Layouts legend management

34 Comments
Ed_Conrad

The solution below does not perfectly address resizing a legend and have it scale proportionately while maintaining aspect ratio, but it allowed me to resize my legend and keep it dynamic rather than convert it to graphics.  Resizing this approach does proportionately change the font sizes for the various legend items (e.g. Layer Names, Heading, Labels, Description), but it does not keep the aspect ratio the same

Change Fitting strategy to "Adjust font size". When I was initially trying to resize the legend, it was set to "Adjust Frame" and I couldn't resize the legend. #arcpro 2.5 
Adjust legend fitting strategy to "Adjust font size" to resize it.

KeithAddison1

Grargh.

MichaelWilliamsUSDA

Wow!

An issue opened by @TrippCorbin in 2017 and four years later, still no fix from esri? This is just sad.

JakeKrall

I just started using Pro to make maps regularly.  Terribly cumbersome when working with the legend.  In Arcmap I can add it grab a handle and drag it to resize all elements at once in a matter of seconds.  Now, it takes 30 minutes to adjust everything as needed.  What use are the handles and purpose if they don't resize the element(s)?

@Esri, can we please get this fix.  

by Anonymous User

I agree that working with legends in Pro is absolutely awful. I have so many issues with them I dread every time I have to do a layout. I find Pro generally very clunky to use compared to ArcMap.

PaulHoefflerGISS

Nearly five years on from when this was "mid-term" is there a timeline on when ArcGIS Pro will achieve parity with ArcMap? Is this finally resolved in ArcGIS Pro 3.0?

This is a vexing problem for all who make maps with ArcGIS Pro. 

@KoryKramer we can run this through Technical Support and our account managers if that's the route we need to take it...

DanAllen

@PaulHoefflerGISS  I am running the latest version of ArcPro 3.x and the legend tool is still unusable in regards to resizing.  If there were improvements to its functionality, I certainly do not see them.  I think I might have to start making a legend in ArcMap and copying it as a screenshot graphic over to ArcPro.  Its probably faster.

PaulHoefflerGISS

Thanks for confirming, @DanAllen

We'll run this through Esri Technical Support and report back with whatever that may yield, as stepping stone to possible resolution in the future...

rlsantore

I mean 5 years later and the Map Legend (KEY TO THE MAP) is not a priority?  Hmmm Pfffft.

PaulHoefflerGISS

Following up on my last post, our Esri Technical Support case on the issue resulted is our organization being attached to two existing Enhancement Requests, on getting to the core issue here:

Mainly:
#ENH-000129479 [Enhancement] The legend items are not rescaled when changing the size of the legend.
Submitted 3/18/2020, Lasted updated 6/9/2022, marked as In Product Plan, Severity Medium; ArcGIS Pro 2.5
ENH notes that this worked fine in ArcMap, but there is no parity in ArcGIS Pro functionality.

Somewhat related:
#ENH-000151832 [Enhancement] Add ability to freeze a map frame and map-based cartographic elements when there are several map frames accessing data from one map.
Submitted 8/24/2022, Lasted updated 9/6/2022, marked as Under Consideration, but Low Severity; ArcGIS Pro 3.0.1