Right Click to export table schema to excel

04-07-2014 11:38 AM
Labels (1)
MarkVolz
Occasional Contributor III

I would like an option to export table schemas to excel.  That would make it easier to compare two tables and verify if they have the same schema or not.

For example:

my_shapefile.shp  --> export schema to excel  -->my_shapefile_schema.xls

Fieild Name,   Field Alias, Field Type, Field Size, Domain,   etc

Thanks

15 Comments
DuncanHornby
Are you aware of the Table Compare tool? I don't think it gives you a break down of field type but it will identify if tables are different and there are a whole bunch of options to play around with.
RichardFairhurst
If you buy a Standard Licence or Advanced License you can use Export XML Workspace Document tool for geodatabase tables/feature classes the http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/index.html#//00170000015s000000
The tool options even are part of the context menu in the Catalog Window, so you don't even need to go to the toolbox if you have the correct license.  ESRI assumes if you only bought a Basic license, you are a viewer only and not interested in creating schemas or examining them using their support tools.
RichardFairhurst
Just to be clear, the Export XML Workspace Document tool lists all you should need to know about the schema of your table/feature class.
KoryKramer

ArcGIS Pro - Export Fields Table is in product plan for ArcGIS Pro 2.5.  Which makes it pretty quick to Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C, go to Excel Ctrl+V

MarkVolz

Hey sorry for the late reply...

@ Kory, yes that is exactly what I hoped for.

@Richard,  I noticed this does not work against shapefiles.  Also in my own opinion I think that basic users should be able to use this as well as it is an excellent documentation tool.

Thanks!

KoryKramer
Status changed to: Implemented

Marking this implemented with the copy functionality added to the Fields View in ArcGIS Pro 2.5.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/geodatabases/overview/create-modify-and-delete-fi...

by Anonymous User

@KoryKramer  you're the best! I was looking for this today! Thank you!! If you weren't on here posting things I would never know how to use Pro! 🙂

KoryKramer

It makes me very happy to know that our efforts are helping!  🙂 

Thank you for the note @Anonymous User 

KateCarlson

I am with @Anonymous User, @KoryKramer! Thanks for the visual, mind blown at the simplicity of this. Excellent!

AndrewRudin1

I noticed that the copy and paste does not bring over the precision and scale if they are present.  So I guess I'll open up a follow up enhancement request along the lines of "copy and paste all columns in the fields view regardless of what is displayed."