Reverse Mask

01-18-2011 05:05 PM
Labels (1)
MichaelStead
Occasional Contributor III
I would like to see a toggle for "Advanced Drawing Options" masking that lets you mask inside OR outside of a polygon. Only being able to mask inside a polygon is often of no use or requires the implementation of smoke and mirror strategies.
9 Comments
emmornile1
I have created 'outside' masks for years with a large polygon and then erasing with the polygon of interest.
The ability to mask on the fly would save time.  It also would be good to have the ability to adjust percentage transparency for the outside mask.
MichaelStead
.....or the clip to shape option could also be fixed to not mask annotation of unclipped layers...
roemhildtg

This would be very ideal. I have a set of about 40 rasters that extend slightly beyond a set of lakes (polygon features). I would like to mask each raster using these lake polygon features. I want to show the rasters inside of the particular features but not outside of those features. 

JoabelBarbieri

I wonder why this isn't possible yet. It's just logical, my mask should hide the outside not the inside !

deleted-user-yUw6wWKCYBY0

I have to agree with Joabel here. For me the expected behavior is that mask affects the outside of my area of interest!

RobbieRotten

Would be fantastic to be able to display a raster that only lies within the bounds of an existing polygon. Much like a clipping mask works in Adobe Illustrator etc.

A simple toggle for inside/outside would be best.

by Anonymous User

please add the ability to choose to mask inside or outside of poygons! I would like to display trees inside of a number of parks without having to clip the parks out of a larger mask layer (it's unnecessary to store this feature layer for any other purpose). At first, I thought I would mask using our parcel layer (query out the parks) BUT some trees are located in right of ways which are not included in our parcel fabric so those still appear in my map. 

Isn't this the same concept as select by location? In the meantime, I'm using the select by location tool to only select trees that fall within my parks of interest, then right click on the feature class and use the make layer from selected features option to create a subset of the data. The thing I don't like about this is that it won't be clear to anyone else who opens my map document that the layer was created this way.

LindsayRaabe_FPCWA

I can't believe this has sat here since 2011 without an update from ESRI on their intentions to either implement, consider or even ignore this request. We would value this change to the way the program works and can show our main use case below. 

We produce maps in the remote West Australian areas that show land systems as the background, but only within the operation boundary. To achieve this at present, we need to ensure that the Operation  Boundary Layer has complete coverage over an area, and then instead of just querying the area we want displayed (the red boundary on the map), we have to have a second layer with the inverse definition query (everything not of interest) that is invisible in the symbology/100% transparent but then masks the land systems around the operational area. 

LindsayRaabe_FPCWA_0-1677724563502.png

My view of a solution - the option to select Masking either In (inside) or Out (outside) of a polygon layer:

LindsayRaabe_FPCWA_1-1677725067645.png

AlfredBaldenweck

I like your proposed solution @LindsayRaabe_FPCWA!

It would be incredibly useful to be able to set layers to only draw inside of a polygon.

You can always clip to shape and exclude layers, but that means you have to micromanage it, when instead you could just manage it on an as-needed basis for each layer you want.