Restricting Layers from Being Printed or Shared

07-29-2022 09:24 AM
Labels (1)
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

The ability to restrict data from being printed, exported, or shared out that exists within a map in ArcGIS Pro would be beneficial in ensuring that restricted data does not accidentally get distributed outside of an organization.  

This would entail allowing the map creator to set the layer within the Contents as restricted. Thus, when the data is printed via the Share tab, exported to a map/project package, or exported to any format, the layer(s) that are set to restricted would be removed from the print/export. This would include the features as well as the labels to be removed.

In my view the workflow would be adding a feature class to a map and being able to set the layer to restricted either in the Appearance tab or the Data tab for the layer. When the user of the map goes to print, export, or share a project package, the export results would inform the user that the data has been removed from the output.

In the attached screenshot, this is my current method, which my map creators constantly ignore! Being able to restrict them from publishing it would be helpful. They need to be able to see the layer and work with it, but cannot allow anyone outside the division to see it.