"Save it Later" without creating a new folder for project - ArcGIS Pro

07-07-2019 06:16 PM
Labels (1)
NaomiBegg2
Occasional Contributor III

I love that we can now start using Pro without saving the project first.  If I do end up saving the project I would have previously made a folder (to follow our request structure).

The problem is that this then creates a whole new folder system within the folder system that already exists.

The solution: Bring back the tick box that is currently available when you create a new project allowing you to choose if you want to create a new folder for this project.

25 Comments
AndreaRichardson1

Definitely need options to turn off the creation of new folders/gdbs/toolboxes with every aprx. We already have in place a structure for data storage, and the creation of new ones upon creating a new map document just adds clutter. We've implemented a workaround by changing the settings so all new aprx's go to the same gdb, which we have put out of the way - because it won't ever be used!

DavidGifford

This really is a no brainer. Why would you need to create a new folder just to save your aprx? It's a bit of a pain to save the aprx, close Pro, go to file explorer, move the aprx then delete the folder created by Pro.

AaronCraig2

Hey Dev's.. Could you please add the option to not create a folder with SAVE AS? Rather than nesting the aprx within the created folder? It totally undermines the project folder where other data resides, within catalog - leaving this function in catalog only useful for the data that is nested in the created folder.

Here is what I start out with at the beginning of a project:

\GIS\

--\Projects\

----\*Example Project Name*\

--------\Data\

--------\Output\

When using ArcPro (start without template enabled) I'd like to be able to use the SAVE AS function to save the *.APRX and {\Index\} folder into a directory that already exists. Ideally, this structure would be the result:

\GIS\

--\Projects\

----\Project Number 1\

--------\Data\

--------\Output\

--------\ArcPro Project Name.aprx

--------\Index\

This structure allows the Catalog and Home folders to still work as intended. However....

Currently choosing SAVE AS, setting the folder I want to save the .aprx in and having a different project name than my top level project folder, leaves me with this structure:

\GIS\

--\Projects\

----\Project Number 1\

--------\Data\

--------\Output\

--------\ArcPro Project Name\

----------------\ArcPro Project Name.aprx

----------------\Index\

If I try to fool ArcPro's SAVE AS by manually typing the name then pressing save, ArcPro will then nest another folder within the same named project folder:

\GIS\

--\Projects\

----\Project Number 1\

--------\Data\

--------\Output\

--------\Project Number 1\

----------------\Project Number 1.aprx

----------------\Index\

MannyGimond

I'll echo the comments left by other users. Implicit in Pro's saving scheme is that a typical workflow starts off by creating an empty GIS project first, then populating that folder with data after the fact. I have seldom experienced this order in my workflow over the decades. A typical project starts off with data acquisition and organization. Furthermore, many of my data analysis work do not rely solely on the ArcGIS platform, so it only makes sense for me to be able to create a new ArcGIS Pro document then save it in a predefined directory structure without having the software add a needless folder to my project.

JamalNUMAN

Is this planned for 2.7?

It would be great if we can choose the “without a project template” option with having the “create folder for the project” option unchecked.

Correct. All have their own folders structure and there is no need to force containing the aprx into a folder

DavidGifford

Unfortunately it's not in 2.7. If you "Start without a template" it still asks to save as a folder and not an aprx. ☹️ I don't understand why if you use Save As on an existing aprx it will save it it as another aprx, but starting without a template requires saving as a folder. The functionality is obviously there.

JamalNUMAN

That’s really very perplexing!

• “Save As” an “untitled” map will get the aprx saved in a folder

• “Save As” an existing aprx file will saving it as an standalone aprx file without the need to be saved in a folder

What could be the explanation for this behavior?

Clip_326.jpgClip_327.jpgClip_328.jpgClip_329.jpg

GISOfficer

+1 to this.  I do not need anything except the aprx file in 90+% of cases; the folder idea has its merits but it should be optional in all save cases.

JamalNUMAN

True

JamalNUMAN

yes please, we need to save the file as aprx without any other additional files\folders