"End Task" option in ArcGIS Pro Diagnostic Monitor

06-12-2019 12:39 PM
Labels (1)
KellyKoenig
Occasional Contributor

When certain tasks are hung or taking much longer than anticipated, it would be useful to be able to cancel that task in the diagnostic monitor. 

Ex. I accidentally said yes to generating unique values for 1 million plus records in the symbology pane, and the only way I can stop this action is to end ArcGIS Pro in the Windows task manager. Any unsaved edits or changes to my project will be lost. 

4 Comments
KoryKramer

Hi @KellyKoenig Thank you for submitting this idea and thank you for providing an example.  For that one specifically, there is this idea https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-ideas/add-cancel-button-to-generate-unique-values-dialog-wh... which I just marked as Needs Clarification because in Pro 2.7.3 and later I'm seeing a Cancel button for shapefiles, file gdb, and an enterprise gdb case that I tested.  Can you check with the data that you use and let us know if Cancel for generating unique values is working for you?

I understand that this idea about implementing an 'end task' in the Diagnostic Monitor is different - I'm just wondering about the example you provided.

Thanks

KellyKoenig

@KoryKramer Thank you for pointing this out! I just updated Pro and tested this out with a hosted feature layer. The "Cancel" option worked perfectly when I selected a field with 500+ unique values. :cool_button:👏🥇 Thank y'all so much for this improvement, esri team!

KoryKramer

Great!  Glad that works for you.

MartyRyan

Can I ask a similar and /or related question? When the ArcGIS Pro Diagnostic Monitor shows various Status tabs as yellow -"Waiting" , "Task Rate" , "Feedback" - indicating that there is not enough feedback, tasks being submitted faster than they can be processed, or waiting while the "active task" is still executing"....how can I determine what process is waiting for what. what task is not providing information, etc? 

In Task Manager, I see some of my GISPro.exe processes have items in their wait chain indicating the same thing - processes are waiting on one another. They show thread numbers, but I cannot find a way to determine what these individual threads are or how to find them.

I am running a model in Pro that is creating LAS Datasets and times are very inconsistent - some in a few minutes and some in as many as 60 hours. It's apparent the model is working, but I would really like a better idea of exactly what is doing.

Thank you