Select to view content in your preferred language

"Add to Legend" option in context-menu of Table of Contents

03-10-2016 04:23 PM
Labels (1)
AdamForknall
Occasional Contributor III

Adding a layer to the legend requires more effort than it should, if the legend is set to not automatically add new layers. Instead of having to click through 3 or 4 menus/dialogs, it would be ideal if a layer could be right-clicked in the Table of Contents, and the option "Add to Legend" be presented if a legend is existing in the layout.

28 Comments
RM-AnneDunckelGISS

I will add an upvote to this idea. Currently on a fire GISS assignment using 2.7 and this is such a nightmare with building maps. Need to add things to the legend quick and on a map with a lot of layers this takes forever to drag up. We need to be able to right click in the Map Frame in drawing order on the layer and "Add to Legend" Or bring back the old dialog box from ArcMap where you can move over what layers you want/don't want on the legend quickly. 

Making maps fast for fires and this is one of the many bottle necks that would be a relief to have fixed for next season.

Thanks!

CMV_Erik

Hello @KoryKramer, I'm not the last person you replied to, but I just tried in 2.8.3 and this is still an issue. As a rule, the cursor remains a forbidden symbol (circle with line through it) when dragged anywhere over the legend. 

If I drag a Group of map items from the map frame to the legend, the cursor changes and a highlight box appears around the legend, suggesting it will work. However, the group contents are still not added.

I agree with the others: having an explicit Add to Legend option would be preferable. 

GregoireS

Drag and drop is super painful when the item list is very long.

Right clic > add to lengend Nr XY would be more than welcomed.

PaulaMcNamara

I want this too it's so frustrating using the drag and drop method, especially with maps with so many layers on them.

wayfaringrob

Noticing a few more problems with the drag functionality: you can't drag anything to an empty legend, and if you remove a duplicate of a layer, it removes/turns off both.

PegGronemeyer1

Struggling with this also... Dragging through dozens of layers is not feasible.   In ArcMap we had a list of all layers available to add or remv from legend and it was easy....

KoryKramer

Thank you for the comment @PegGronemeyer1    I took a look and it doesn't appear that you added your kudos to the idea. While comments are important, kudos (the number of votes) that an idea receives is one of the primary pieces of data that we use to determine traction and trends as we monitor idea activity over time.

Please see https://community.esri.com/t5/custom/page/page-id/arcgis-ideas for a high level overview of how ArcGIS Ideas works. For more details, see Frequently Asked Questions about ArcGIS Ideas 

Thank you for your participation in the community and for helping us prioritize future development efforts for ArcGIS Pro.

Hopkins_Gina

Why is this still not a thing (Pro 3.0.2)? Adding legend items is clunky, especially when working with CAD files. I want to be able to add an item to a legend from the TOC and have the option to set its legend properties in the same process.

rsiebenmann_ARO

Seriously, ESRI.  Please understand that configuring legends in the real world is much more time consuming than it needs to be.  This idea has been around for more than six years.  

Right Click -> Remove exists.

Pretty please add Right-Click -> Add to Legend

Göran
by

@JeffBarretteI can't see anyone answered your suggestion. If that implementation is easier to code I would prefer that option compared to todays drag-n-drop functionality though (not that they need to replace each other). Though I fear that in a map with 100* layers it will still be a hassel to find the right one and hence it might not work well in the cases where drag-n-drop is most annoying.

*I might exaggerate but at sometimes maps contain a very large amount of layers.