Pro: Drag Map from one project to another

10-08-2018 12:07 PM
Labels (1)
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Yes, I know I can go through the laborious steps of saving a map as a mapx and bringing it into another project. Or I could...

Kinda surprised this doesn't already exists

8 Comments
ThomasColson

Update: Per https://community.esri.com/thread/208657-copying-maps-from-one-pro-project-to-another  it looks like this is possible, BUT, only if you drag it to the "white space" at the bottom of your list of maps. If you have a lot of maps where you have to scroll to get the "white space" at the bottom of the maps container in cat view, this doesn't work. Also doesn't work if you're on  15 inch laptop and your resolution just doesn't show any white space at the bottom of a list of many maps. Changing resolution is not an option for vision impaired and therefor is not a workaround.  So my idea still stands!

DanPatterson_Retired

Save a map file—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

however the manual process is not too onerous if you are trying to do work on a laptop

KoryKramer

Tom, I think this is possible by just dropping into the Contents.  

Does that work for you?

ThomasColson

If I already have many many maps, the "drop" part of the drag doesn't work until I get to the "empty space" below the list of map, which, on a small laptop screen is a PITA. Yes I can drag it on top of "Maps" in contents, but that doesn't seem intuitive because I "could"  previously drag into the maps container in Cat View while there was still space to do so. Also note I can't drag anything unless I already have an existing default map, as the maps container isn't activated until a map exists in the project, also not intuitive nor makes any sense to the novice user, whom is not going to be reading any documentation. Think beyond your skills and experience, or mine with this idea. Many users we support are "novice" and only use GIS software for a portion of their work day. Intuitive.....

KoryKramer

Thanks, Tom.  The Content Management team already has an issue for the problem of not being able to drop an object into another project if the target project doesn't already have an associated "container."  I've added your feedback from this thread to that issue for consideration.

NaicongLi
Status changed to: Under Consideration

NaicongLi
Status changed to: In Product Plan

KoryKramer
Status changed to: Implemented

This experience is improved in ArcGIS Pro 2.9.  The target project doesn't need an existing Maps container - the drop will still work.  It also is not necessary to go down to the bottom of a long list of maps in order to drop.

See Ideas in ArcGIS Pro 2.9 for other ideas implemented in 2.9.