Overwrite an existing web layer owned by someone else in your organization from ArcGIS Pro

07-17-2015 07:17 AM
Charles-AndreRoy
New Contributor III
Privileges in ArcGIS Online should give more possibilities for data/map management like a way to "centralize" things that multiple users can update/manage. ArcGIS Online is good to share contents with other within the organization (for mapping), but it's lacking of functionalities for data. For instance, it's currently possible to "overwrite an hosted feature layers" that was added using ArcGIS Online. That can be done for web layer that you own, but you can also overwrite an existing web layer owned by someone else (if role of the other user is set to Administrator).

Things that could be great:
- In addition to each user "My Content", should have a "My Organization Content" available to all (or through privileges/groups)
- Be able to overwrite content of another user from AGOL or ArcGIS Pro (through a My Organization Content or see other shared user folders/items)
36 Comments
deleted-user-1_r2dgYuILKY

I definitely need this feature. A lot of our services were created by my predecessor. Many of them are out of date and I need to be able to overwrite them, or delete them. I have to wait for out administrator to be able to deal with this stuff, which is annoying for both of us. It's because of this and the convoluted and confusing user types system that I would like to move away from AGOL and fully utilize our ArcGIS Server with the JS API. Just waiting to be able to publish services from Pro...

Jean-FrançoisLabrecque1

Je suis entièrement d'accord avec cette idée, d'autant plus que les administrateurs dans les grandes organisations sont en plus grand nombre et qu'une mise à jour en temps réel est plus que souhaitable lorsqu'un client visualise le résultat final via l'internet.

Jean-FrançoisLabrecque1

Je suis entièrement d'accord avec cette idée, d'autant plus que les administrateurs dans les grandes organisations sont en plus grand nombre et qu'une mise à jour en temps réel est plus que souhaitable lorsqu'un client visualise le résultat final via l'internet.

DavidLineberry

We need a way to share ownership of a service. When one of our team members is out on vacation I cannot update the data to Online. Even when everyone is in the office it is a problem needing to ask someone else to update the service with the data layer I am working on because they were the first to serve it a month ago. Making multiple services with different names will cause more problems than it solves. I would like to see ownership at the group level so any group member can see and overwrite the service. Thanks.

DavidLineberry

We need a way to share ownership of a service. When one of our team members is out on vacation I cannot update the data to Online. Even when everyone is in the office it is a problem needing to ask someone else to update the service with the data layer I am working on because they were the first to serve it a month ago. Making multiple services with different names will cause more problems than it solves. I would like to see ownership at the group level so any group member can see and overwrite the service. Thanks.

by Anonymous User

I've brought this up to Esri many different ways to many people - their solution is to have an admin go to the service and change the owner to the person that needs to overwrite it and then change it back. Yeah....try doing that daily when multiple people edit data internally and need to overwrite a service.

by Anonymous User

I've brought this up to Esri many different ways to many people - their solution is to have an admin go to the service and change the owner to the person that needs to overwrite it and then change it back. Yeah....try doing that daily when multiple people edit data internally and need to overwrite a service.

YoavRappaport

There is a similar idea with less votes here Enable multiple users to overwrite hosted feature services so vote for both! Currently we are achieving this by making all members of our group admins, then going in and changing the ownership when you want to overwrite someone else layer. But first you have to share the layer with a group that doesn't have "update" capabilities. Sounds counter intuitive, but that's how it is. Then to share that layer with a wider group you must create a View fs. 

YoavRappaport

There is a similar idea with less votes here Enable multiple users to overwrite hosted feature services so vote for both! Currently we are achieving this by making all members of our group admins, then going in and changing the ownership when you want to overwrite someone else layer. But first you have to share the layer with a group that doesn't have "update" capabilities. Sounds counter intuitive, but that's how it is. Then to share that layer with a wider group you must create a View fs. 

AndreaRichardson1

We really need this. Similar to other user stories posted above, we have the need for multiple users to be able to overwrite certain services. I thought giving other user Admin privileges would solve the issue - was quite surprised when it didn't.  Changing owners just to do this simple task is ridiculous. Having multiple-user overwrite ability as an option would prevent accidental overwriting of layers you don't want overwritten - similar to how delete protection is now an option.