Move <all other values> in TOC

02-09-2011 12:56 PM
Labels (1)
TimOrmsby
Esri Regular Contributor

When you symbolize data on categories, sometimes you symbolize a few unique values and assign the rest to <all other values>. In the TOC, this entry is always listed first in the layer. Other values can be reordered with arrow keys on the layer properties symbology tab, but not this one. For me, <all other values> is usually a collection of less important features in the view. Usually, I would rather see it at the bottom of the list than the top. Or sometimes, I want to rename its label from <all other values> to something else and then I might want to insert the renamed value alphabetically into the list of values. Anyway, I would like this flexibility to be available.

10 Comments
JurajKrumpolec
+ possibility to move it to heading
RickFrantz
It's often a lesser important collection of values and I want it to appear that way in the legend.
DavidBarnes
Rather than using the "All Other Values" category you could turn that category off so it doesn't get shown, group all of your "other values" into their own group, edit the label and adjust its postion in the list of classes. Not as automatic as letting "All Other Values" pick up any unused classes, but it works now.
AndrewCole
The only way to show the "All Other Values" in a legend are very clunky.  It should be a very simple thing to allow moving the other values up and down, like any other class.  I have never seen a good map with the "others" listed at the top and seperated by a different heading; instead, they are just listed as another class of data, at the bottom of the list.

ArcMap Legend:
0EME0000000Tkp3

Better Legend:
0EME0000000Tkp8

It is easy enough to convert to graphics and fix the legend; however, this disconnects the legend and results in wrong symbology and other problems.  I hate converting legends to graphics but I have to on almost every map I make.  We have a huge library of maps we produce on demand and make updates as needed, but we make one update to the underlying data and we have to manually change dozens and dozens of map legends manually.
JamesFurka
Just got off the phone with ESRI support as I wanted to do this very same thing. At least having the option to move it to the bottom would be a big improvement.
RichardReinicke

dbarnes-esristaff‌ But this is exactly the missing feature. If I want to set up a service, maybe a feature service and I want to configure the legend to show only some special values on top and to hide or group any other possible values (also not yet existing ones) at bottom.

ZihanSong

Currently in ArcGIS Pro, "all other values" is at the bottom of the legend in TOC:

ZihanSong_0-1633626363716.png

You could also click on its label in TOC to change <all other values> to any custom string.

SarahRijneke

Pretty small request here. Just looking for the ability to move the all other values symbol up and down in the legend like we are already able to do with other symbols. I know that I have the ability to convert the legend to graphics and re-arrange but I would like to keep the connection between the legend and map layers in case I have to add more data to my layout down the road. In my screen capture below, I want the Priority 1 symbol & label to appear first in my map layout to stay consistent with other maps in this series even though none of these features appear in the map.

SarahRijneke_0-1700158022645.png

SarahRijneke_1-1700158252305.png

JesseWickizer

@SarahRijneke, as a workaround, you could split your priority 2 & 3 values and the other values into separate layers with definition queries, then add the 2 layers to the legend in the desired order. 

JesseWickizer_0-1700165947256.png

This way avoids converting the legend to graphics, maintaining connection to each layers' symbology.

GelcysWilliams

I was looking for a way to reorder All Other Values in Pro, around my other Unique Values.  I have a handful of tree stumps and other non-trees grouped into one category called Other, and the rest of the trees in this FC are "all other values" - labeled as Trees.  It would be great to have my Trees (All other values) at the top of the list, and my Others category at the bottom... but can't mix/swap the two. 😞  

GelcysWilliams_0-1701895075421.png