More options for Delete Identical tool

08-04-2015 09:46 AM
DavidGuthmueller
New Contributor II
Can we have a way to define which duplicate record is deleted under the Delete Identical tool?  For instance, if I have a crime incident that was reported two different ways, then I'd like to be able to define which duplicate is deleted and also have a second option where I can manually chooses which duplicate is deleted.
1 Comment
MatthewLeonard

Yes, this would be very helpful!  In my case, I'm trying to delete duplicate records based on identical values in two fields, but I want to specify to keep the one with the lowest value in another field. 

I believe I have found a roundabout way to do this: First, use Sort tool to produce a new copy of the dataset which will be sorted by the first two fields and also then by the third field. So then, when I run Delete Identical, the first duplicate record encountered will be the one with the lowest value in the third field, so this will be the one that remains. But I want to be sure this works.

Ideally, I would be able to specify this behavior as an additional parameter in the Delete Identical tool.