Marker Symbol Creator

08-06-2010 04:28 PM
KevinJohnson
Occasional Contributor
An interface to create marker symbols by drawing them.  A whole combination drawing lines, polygons, text that can be saved as a symbol, much like a block in CAD.  A user should not have to create a custom font just to create a custom marker symbol. 
15 Comments
GaryCarpenter
I'm in!  What is also frustratring is that there seems to be no way to view ALL available marker, etc symbols on one canvas / viewer ...instead of having to choose a set then scroll through it hoping you'll find what you're looking for.  20 years ago we used to be able to plot out the symbology sets...no need to do that now--JUST BE ABLE TO VIEW THEM! (Please).
SusanBrandner
I agree this would be a great feature. Currently when you use cartographic representations you have access to a pretty good symbol editor. Why can't this be used for normal symbols? Rather than just for cartographic representations...
ZhiyouSha
now  i am going to design a Geology style for chinese geological experts,the style manager  cannot satisfy my demand,because there are so many complicated symbols. I will use FontCreator sofeware to make fonts to replenish the marker symbol;and use Adobe illustrator to add fill symbol; if  we can create marker symbols by drawing them just like create Representation Marker with Marker Editor in Arcinfo,the work will be easier.
mattwilkie
backlink to http://blogs.esri.com/esri/arcgis/2010/11/09/editing-representation-marker-symbols-in-arcmap/

In my opinion the Marker Editor used for Cartographic Representations should be the default symbol editor everywhere in Arcmap (and it should support importing and exporting from svg, emf, eps).
DarrellClarke1

Many many years ago, at least 15 years possibly more, there was a tool in ArcGIS that allowed the creation of custom marker symbols within the properties portion of ArcMap.  It was simple, but allowed for direct creation of an embedded symbol in the styleset.

I, for one, would LOVE it if that was brought back or at least made available on the ESRI website for download and use under a current license.