Make able the Field Mapping in all Geoprocessing tools to consume constant values

06-26-2016 08:42 AM
Labels (1)
ÁkosHalmai
Occasional Contributor II

Make able the Field Mapping in all Geoprocessing tools to consume constant values, not just fields. In some cases for example in the Append tool in NO_TEST scenarios it would be extremely useful to fulfill a field (or multiple fields) with a constant value. There is a quite simple workaround to achieve this: leave the field unmapped and then fill it with Field Calculator. But if this feature would be integrated into the field mapping then it would be more convenient, consistent and more logical to use (raster tools can also consume constant values).

Ákos Halmai

2 Comments
ChrisMathers1

I was coming to create this same idea. When appending I often wish I could put in a value for a field in the target that doesn't have something to map into it.

KubaSzostak1

It would be great to see such functionality in ArcGIS Pro Append Tool.

I have about 10 shapefiles which I import into one EGD feature class. There is attribute type which I set based on shapefile name (points_fixed.shp, points_calculated.shp, points_temp.shp, ...). Having option to set Constant value would resolve my problem.

Another use case is when there is Non-NULL field in target dataset which is absent in input dataset. You can't append such data without redesigning input dataset scheme (which not always is possible).