Labels in Legend

09-19-2012 08:33 PM
Labels (1)
TonyVeale1
New Contributor III

Scenario: a polygon layer of varying symbology is labelled differently for each symbol.

Is there some way of being able to choose to have one of those labels in each polygon showing in the legend? This would help to identify those poygons better in the map, if their (associated) label can be shown, too.

For example, I used graphic text to add to the legend below, but could this be available as a tick box in setting up the legend?

0EME0000000TSWS

I think this is similar to someone wantiong highway shields shown on line symbols in a legend, but this is more specifically to do with polygons.

6 Comments
CarolineJackman
You can do this manually by adding a description with formatting tags and offsetting it so that it overlaps the symbol but it can be a bit of a pain...
Would be great if it could be automated to read the symbology from the labels to apply to a description in the legend.
CarolineJackman
You can do this manually by adding a description with formatting tags and offsetting it so that it overlaps the symbol but it can be a bit of a pain...
Would be great if it could be automated to read the symbology from the labels to apply to a description in the legend.
TomoharuOgashiwa

凡例を作成したときに、アイテムの上に文字を表示したいと思うことが多々あります。

legend

上の図の通りアイテム上に文字が表示できると助かります。

KoryKramer

Translation: 

When you create a legend, you often want to display text on an item. 
It would be helpful if characters could be displayed on the item as shown above.

and this may be related to Legend: adding symbol into patch 

TomoharuOgashiwa

Thank you for the translation.

graharg_MAO

Another use case is for labelling with logos.  I make many land lease maps showing company lease holders with the company logo as a label point.  This works much better than adding a picture marker to a polygon fill layer since the placement and alignment can be controlled.

My current hack is to have two layers.  One with labels and one with markers in the polygon fill to be in the legend.  The labeled layer is on the map and the marker fill is on the legend.  The legend is converted to graphics so I can show the marker fill layer without actually displaying on the map.

logos_as_labels.pnglogos_in_legend.png