Labeling Line Segment Footage

01-21-2021 07:07 AM
Labels (1)
MiralemZeljo1
Occasional Contributor

Can you please implement option to add segment labels, so that line does not have to be split into million pieces but instead allow option to label each segment of one given line with the footage.

Your help on this would be greatly appreciated as often times we dont need to break l ine into segments as it contains the same attributes, this is where it would be beneficial not only from graphics prospective but also from database prospective, it would make the attribute table 1000 times smaller and easier to handle.

We are able to do this in AutoCAD using LISP and creating points for every midpoint of the line but that also adds to complexity of the DB and requires separate feature class to be published. I hope this is something you can implement in the near future. Thank you in advance. See below snip from autocad showing example of how it looks.

1.png

13 Comments
MiralemZeljo1

The expression you provided will divide total length of the shape into 2. What happens when you have line with 20 vertices. We are trying to label line between all the vertices by using distance between those vertices.

I hope this helps.

m_neer
by

Ok, I understand now.  Splitting is the only way around I can see so sorry I couldn't be the silver bullet to your dilemma.   Vertex points do contain a legitimate XY so if someone could figure out how to harness those XY coordinate values behind the scenes I suppose one could apply the pythageron theorem as an expression to evaluate a new coordinate mid point value of each corresponding vertex XY points on the fly to display that measured distance differences.    Its complex for sure, but maybe the talented GIS community would have a better answer than I do at the moment.

MiralemZeljo1

Agreed. This would be great addition to labeling engine. I believe there is something like this available for parcel polygons, so hopefully it won't be too long before we see the same for line data.