Label features based on selected features

06-16-2010 12:42 PM
MatthewFletcher
Occasional Contributor
I would like to be able to select features on the map, then have ArcMap automatically create a query (possibly based on ObjectID) to label only the selected features.

This request would help with having to write a long query string to label features.  Often there is no common attribute I can use, other than the ObjectID or unique field.
Tags (1)
7 Comments
ArtBotello

When I have to run a task such as this, I usually

- Select features first

- Right click on layer,

- Click Selection

- Choose ‘Create Layer from Selected Features’

- Label New layer
Produces dynamic labels

Otherwise:

- Select Features with Labels turned On

- Right click on layer

- Convert Labels to Annotation

- Choose ‘In the map’ and Selected features’
Produces static labels

Obviously, a tool on a toolbar to Label Selected Features will minimize these steps. 

RickHollatz

Likewise, I'd love to have the ability to quickly label only selected features and also quickly generate a label class from selected features.  I would envision it looking/working something like the items shown in the included images.

0EM30000000CnZI
0EM30000000CnZN

AndrewCox
 The ability of only label selected features would be very useful.
AstridLichtenberger1
very important feature !!!
Jane_AnnPosney

I had downloaded a script for ArcMap 9.x that created a tool that did exactly what you are describing, however, I cannot get it to load in ArcMap 10.  This would be a valuable  tool!!!

Pieter_Geertvan_den_Beukel
This was standard functionality in good old ArcView 3.x
JimThomas
If this becomes a reality, an additional function I would like to see is the ability to label the selected features from the attribute table via the right-click menu.