Select to view content in your preferred language

Join to a FGDB database view

01-14-2024 01:40 AM
Labels (1)
Bud
by
Honored Contributor

ArcGIS Pro 3.2.1; file geodatabase:

I have a table and a database view. I want to join the table to the view using the Add Join tool.

The tool lets me perform the join (using a common UNIQUE_ID INT field) without errors, but the join fields are all null. So the join was unsuccessful.

It looks like joining to a FGDB view is not supported, unlike mobile or enterprise geodatabase views. Could that functionality be added?

Video:

The example in the video was oversimplified to demonstrate the point. In reality, I'd be joining to a more useful view, such as a view that has a GROUP BY and a JOIN. Like this: Selecting the most recent records based on unique values in another field

1 Comment
MarceloMarques

My 2 cents. Certain SQL operations are only available in a RDBMS (Oracle, SQL Server, PortgreSQL) because the SQL Engine behind the RDBMS that is quite complex. Certain SQL functions in a File Geodatabase might not be available and it will be difficult to implement that because of this reason. Therefore, the best aproach is move the data from the File Geodatabase to an Enterprise Geodatabase, even Mobile Geodatabase will present some limitations as well, thus move the data to an Enterprise Database (Oracle, SQL Server, PostgreSQL). I hope this helps.