International sport orienteering symbols & "O" map capacity in ArcGIS Pro

08-11-2022 09:22 AM
Labels (1)
ThomasBall
New Contributor II

Orienteering is an international sport with rules and procedures for conducting Orienteering "meets". There are specialized proprietary software programs for creating "O maps". ESRI (IMHO)  is long overdue  for  competing or contributing in this market space.  I would like, very much, to be able to create large-scale (usually, ranging from 1:2,500 to 1:10k or 20k) orienteering maps to IOF specifications using ESRI IOF symbols, lines, geomagnetically correct declination lines (using current data specific to the location mapped), & etc.
The chief competitor example of capacities needed is, probably "OCAD". Corollary software for managing various aspects  of sport orienteering can be found at: List of software for orienteering | International Orienteering Federation
This idea seems obvious to me. I have tried creating sport O maps of local parks using ArcView (3.0), ArcMap (various) and ArcGIS Pro. I know of one other professor (New Hampshire, I think) who successfully created O maps using ArcMap. Perhaps the market is too small. In the 1980s and 90s we used Orienteering maps created by the St Louis Orienteering Club (SLOC) to educate thousands of St Louis Public School students as young as 3rd grade. It could be part of ESRI's education mission.
I've suggested this before, without response. I cannot have been the first to hope for this obvious capacity.

2 Comments
StevenHick

I find myself in a similar situation where I wish to create an orienteering map for our university subscribing to same International Specification for Orienteering Maps (Revision 5, September 2022). It would be convenient to have orienteering symbol gallery. 

EdiePunt
Status changed to: Under Consideration