Interactive Gantt Chart (Pro/AGO/Experience Builder)

07-24-2017 05:01 PM
Labels (1)
MōnoSimeone
Occasional Contributor II

Any time-based project (think AEC; think emergency preparedness for events/event planning; think indoor/3D...etc) which relies on logistics or seeing data from multiple location (or activity at the same location) uses a Gantt chart view to better understand the data as well as to interact with the data.

Requirements:

• Ability to select Gantt objects and have them highlight in the map and vice versa.
  • A time-slider that can manually or play across the Gantt chart
  • Chart configuration and use should be the same across all apps: Pro, AGOL, WAB, EB

Gantt chart used with construction logistics 

Flora Vale

19 Comments
ChristophHaeberli

great idea. Just confirm this need in the construction. The planner of the site needs tools like that to organize the project. 

DrewFlater

Can you explain the type of GIS data that you would use with this chart in an ArcGIS Desktop application? The example of wikipedia (Gantt chart - Wikipedia ) does not look much like GIS data.

MōnoSimeone

We have a real use-case in that we track construction activities for logistical planning. The Gantt is used primarily as a scheduling tool but it provides a nice reporting visualization for our constituents to understand when and where activities take place that may impact properties adjacent or nearby. Impacting traffic, sidewalk accessibility, road/lane closures, events, etc. 

A particular challenge for us currently is an area where we have over a dozen activities from 4 different contractors. All the activities overlay on top of each other - without a Gantt chart to manage the graphics it's very-very difficult to control/show activities to the stakeholders so they can properly plan and/or avoid each other in the same space. Again, in general, the Gantt chart provides a nice visual report for managers to push notifications to their clients/customers/services.

Christoph is correct this type of visualization is in need for construction (and is part of any construction management software) but any type of temporal planning/scheduling typically relies on a Gantt chart.

Happy to talk/show/give demo of what we have and our needs.

MōnoSimeone

To follow up I should mention that my original purpose behind this feature request was the ability to pull IFC data from construction management software into Pro that would reconstruct the building and logistics plan in 3D. The IFC data held the schedule data for each activity (most activities include something physical occurring somewhere; fencing installed, mat poured, staging area moved...etc.) so theoretically one could use a timeline to visualize the construction of a building hour-by-hour, day-by-day. But this also works for horizontal projects such a laying utilities.

For non-construction use case, imagine law enforcement planning an event which requires things to occur at a certain time. Set up fencing/K-rails for pedestrian access, deliver modules for PD and event staff HQ, setup stage, gates open, place/shift officers at this location and at this time...etc. and then all the clean-up schedule.

ZacharyOrdo__GISP

This is a fantastic idea.  This would have wide-ranging applications, including in Oil & Gas and other utilities and transmission industries.

GregHornbeek

I would love this too. Doesn't even really have to be interactive since it is a visual aid, but I have a need for this now. I have been trying to use Serial Chart Widget in operations dashboard, but not successful. We use it to track projects through the various stages of production as well. I can get close in OD, but just wish you could use dates in the Value Axis. We track expected start and completed dates, which would be the bar for the Serial Chart if dates could be used.  All for this one! 

ColeAndrews

Mōno Simeone‌, I'm trying to understand how you want to source the Gannt, as Drew Flater‌ asked. You want the gannt to be based off of date field(s) in a feature class?

MōnoSimeone

Cole Andrews‌, yes based on the feature class date fields. Gantt charts for scheduling rely on [start date] and [end date] of an activity.

A few other considerations if this was to be added as chart type in Pro/WAB/EB/OD...

Settings or options that would enhance a Gantt widget:

a) Range selection > user has the ability to set a date range to see only the activities within the user-defined date range; or, to define a date range as part of the Gantt chart, removing the ability for the user to change it.

b) Level selection: Typically, in construction or event planning, there are different "levels" to an activity "Level 1" is the rollup of all underlining activities. For example, the Level 1 activity may be to "repave road", this has an overall start and end date; Level 2 would be the more specific individual activities (each with their own start/end dates) such as grind pavement, replace catch basin, pour concrete, set asphalt, add lane striping. These 5 activities "rollup" to the main activity of repaving the road. Therefore, a P6, or Microsoft Project schedule may have several Level 1 activities, and each Level 1 activity has its own subset of Level 2 activities.This would also satisfy looking at a master schedule, each project would be a level 1 activity.

The user should have the ability to filter by a non-date field that expresses these "levels", so only to see Level 1 records, or the level 2 records, or both level 1 and level 2 records.

The user should also have the ability to filter by a specific Level 1 record. There might be several Level 1 activities, this would allow a user to focus/filter on a specific activity to be represented in the Gantt chart.

c) Display the activity duration as a numeric value next to the Activity (and have the ability to choose the time unit: days, months, years)

I can't believe it's been 3 years since I wrote this idea 😕

NikHenryOz

@MōnoSimeone, this is a great idea.

Totally benefit the expansion of Workforce, being able to display assignments in on a Gantt chart within Operations Dashboard...........magic!

MōnoSimeone

Has there been any 3rd party Gantt chart widgets built for Pro, WAB, or Dashboards?

Will need something in the near future to satisfy area-wide logistics.