In ArcGIS PRO allow formal edit sessions for unversioned data in an enterprise GDB

01-20-2017 11:53 AM
Labels (1)
JohannaKraus1
New Contributor II

ArcMap allows users to edit unversioned data in an enterprise geodatabase and choose whether edits will be automatically saved after each edit or evoke a formal edit session during which edits are stored before being committed/saved to the underlying database (giving users the ability to discard or undo unwanted edits). There are good reasons for maintaining unversioned data in an enterprise database and for being able to discard/undo edits – users should not have to choose between the two.

Please give users the option of a formal edit formal edit sessions for unversioned data in an enterprise geodatabase in ArcGIS PRO.

46 Comments
rflorence

Thanks team!

GIS_MJ
by

That's excellent news LarryYoung!  I look forward to the 3.1 update for this functionality. 

MalcolmJ

Excellent news. I look forward to 3.1. This has been long overdue

DavidWheelock2

@LarryYoung, please answer the following questions for us and ask your design team about them.

Questions:

• Even though "single workspace edit session"is not the default at installation, will the user have the ability to set it as a persistent user default so that future edit sessions will use the single workspace edit session automatically?
  • Will we be able to configure this at installation time or through MS Active Directory to protect our geodatabase and and our users from unexpected mistakes?

This is still critical.  If less experienced users can still blunder into the geodatabase and delete a table contents without the ability to discard edits then this is still a problem.

LarryYoung

Hi David,

For reasons you state, administrators of the system will be able to lock and deploy the setting through the application management functionality:  https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/get-started/application-setting-management.htm#.

Hopefully that helps.

Larry

DavidWheelock2

Thanks @LarryYoung.  That's perfect.  Just wanted to confirm.

DavidWheelock2

@LarryYoung.  I have installed 3.1 and I don't see this long-needed ArcMap equivalence feature.  Please give us an update.  Did it make it into 3.1?

I checked my Options > Edit settings and I have everything set to not save edits automatically.  Nevertheless, when I made an edit it was saved automatically when I exited the record.  3.2 then?

ArcGISPro_2023-02-27_10-31-55.png

KoryKramer

Hi @DavidWheelock2 You are correct that this (unfortunately) was not quite ready to be released in ArcGIS Pro 3.1. Much progress was made and it is now in a good spot to be fully developed in ArcGIS Pro 3.2. It's in the near-term on the updated ArcGIS Pro roadmap.

To pre-empt the next obvious question, Pro 3.2 is planned for the Oct/Nov timeframe this year.

DavidWheelock2

Thanks for the quick update @KoryKramer.

Referring back to the conversation above, since it's still in development, can it be made so that the user can make this setting persistent across sessions without having to wait for an admin to do it?

Bud
by

For anyone who's wondering:

My understanding is, just like with ArcMap, true undo functionality (CTRL+Z, etc.) won't be available in the edit session, since that's a feature of versioned data only. The new functionality will only be to discard edits (discard all edits that were made in that edit session), rather than automatically commit them.

ArcGIS Pro Roadmap - February 2023

Discard for Nonversioned editing - Support of workflows similar to those implemented in ArcMap for editing non-versioned data. When implemented edits against non-versioned data will not be written directly to the database, giving the user the ability to discard edits before committing.

I just wanted to point that out since a previous version of the "ArcGIS Pro Roadmap" said undo functionality was going to be added, which was misleading:

ArcGIS Pro Roadmap - December 2021 (the post has been archived)

Non-versioned editing - support of workflows similar to those implemented in ArcMap for editing non-versioned data. When implemented, edits against non-versioned data will not be written directly to the database, giving the user the ability to undo and/or discard edits before committing.

Pro Roadmap - Non-versioned Editing: “Ability to undo and/or discard edits before committing”