Improve user experience after selecting 'start without a template' in ArcGIS Pro

08-12-2021 08:03 PM
Labels (1)
andrewdc_tt
New Contributor III

At the moment, when selecting 'start without a template' in ArcGIS Pro (I use this option like 90% of the time, instead of saving up front), I get presented with a mostly blank interface - I feel like this wasted space could be made a lot more useful.

AndrewDouglasClifford_0-1628822996949.png

For me, I'm almost always starting with a map, so it would be much more useful for a map to automatically be created by default when I use this option.

Alternatively, having some large buttons in the centre that lets a user quickly choose what they launch into next would be useful, such as these: 

AndrewDouglasClifford_1-1628823158365.png

I know these options are in the top left, but it should be much easier/obvious instead of this massive void in the user interface - having a default view would be even better.

3 Comments
NaicongLi
Status changed to: Under Consideration

rburke-bsrc

This is a good idea, at least make that big 'void' a drop zone that could create a map if data were dropped onto it. That's virtually how ArcMap opens.

nspittlemeister_LCFPD

I came here to say the exact same thing. This would be very helpful and would save a couple clicks each time as I also almost always open a map after click Start without a template.