Start ArcGIS PRO without a project, but with a new Map already added in automatically

02-08-2021 07:47 AM
Labels (1)
JoabelBarbieri
Occasional Contributor II

Is there a way to start ArcGIS PRO without a project but with a new Map already added in automatically?

Every time I have to click Insert>New Map to start pulling my data in. What if you could choose what to be added automatically (New Map, Scene, etc) on the Options>General>Start ArcGIS PRO... ?

JoabelBarbieri_0-1612798558584.png

If not an option currently, ESRI please consider adding it...

6 Comments
andrewdc_tt

At the moment, when selecting 'start without a template' in ArcGIS Pro (I use this option like 90% of the time, instead of saving up front), I get presented with a mostly blank interface - I feel like this wasted space could be made a lot more useful.

AndrewDouglasClifford_0-1628822996949.png

For me, I'm almost always starting with a map, so it would be much more useful for a map to automatically be created by default when I use this option.

Alternatively, having some large buttons in the centre that lets a user quickly choose what they launch into next would be useful, such as these: 

AndrewDouglasClifford_1-1628823158365.png

I know these options are in the top left, but it should be much easier/obvious instead of this massive void in the user interface - having a default view would be even better.

NaicongLi
Status changed to: Under Consideration

NaicongLi
Status changed to: Under Consideration

wayfaringrob

This is a good idea, at least make that big 'void' a drop zone that could create a map if data were dropped onto it. That's virtually how ArcMap opens.

nspittlemeister_LCFPD

I came here to say the exact same thing. This would be very helpful and would save a couple clicks each time as I also almost always open a map after click Start without a template. 

NaicongLi

Hello @andrewdc_tt ,

Thank you very much for your feedback.  We have merged your idea, together with its kudos, to this pre-existing idea which was seeking the same effect.  Since your post is now considered a comment in this idea, would you please add a kudo to this idea so that your vote will be counted as well?

Thank you again, and we look forward to more of your feedback to help us improve ArcGIS Pro.