Improve Profile Graph in ArcGIS Pro - flash point on line

05-03-2019 10:48 AM
Labels (1)
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

In ArcMap once you have created a profile graph you can interact with it by clicking on the line to flash a green dot on the feature the graph is built from. I use this all the time when analysing cross sections of rivers in their floodplain.  As it stands the profile graph in ArcGIS Pro is pretty poor. With it's clunky, non-intuitive workflow which users are scream out for improvement in this idea and the lack of any inter-activeness it needs a serious revamp. 

9 Comments
KoryKramer

So, like you pointed out, really just a part of this idea: https://community.esri.com/ideas/14771-pro-add-the-profile-graph-tool-as-it-works-in-arcmap

DuncanHornby

Kory,

Yes my idea is strongly linked to the other idea. They don't explicitly mention the insanely useful click-on-graph-flash-on-line aspect of the tool in ArcMap so I felt it needed stating. If your intentions are are to merge this idea into theirs then I think that appropriate.

Duncan

KoryKramer

Thanks, Duncan.  We can keep both ideas, and just track that as the profile graph/chart functionality is built out in Pro that a requirement is to include this type of functionality.

ChristophKönig1

Kory, when can we expect the implementation of this idea?

JeffBishop

Kory Kramer‌ per the below any update on this? 

KoryKramer

For those on this thread, please check out the interactive elevation profile tool in ArcGIS Pro 2.7 and (7:29) in the ideas in 2.7 video to see the interactive feedback on the map/scene as you slide across the profile graph.  Does this meet your needs?  If not, please let us know what is missing.

Thanks!

KoryKramer

@DuncanHornby @JeffBishop @ChristophKönig1 

It's been over a year since we asked about this one so I wanted to follow up. Does the interactive profile graph meet your needs for the ability to move across the graph and see the info you need? Or do your workflows require starting from the drawn line to get the profile info?

Please provide updates on how the current tool is working for you, and specifics on where it may not be meeting your needs.

Thanks 

KoryKramer_0-1645795942315.png

DuncanHornby

Hi @KoryKramer 

This improved interactive profile graph does indeed work better although I was tripped up by the need to add an elevation layer to elevation sources through the add data button. Once I had done that I was able to draw my line and the moving dot works well and allows me to explore the data.

I do have one comment, the tool does not work if the elevation data is a mosaic dataset.  In the UK public lidar is released through our Environment Agency and they come as  zillion tiff files. So I typically stitch them together as a mosaic dataset. When I tried to use this profile tool it would not work with the mosaic dataset I had to export it as a raster. Now in this case this was acceptable as its just one river catchment so the raster was small enough to work with. It would be impossible if I had the whole country.

I would hope that in a future release this tool would work with Elevation Surfaces that are mosaic datasets built from a bunch of DTM tiffs.

KoryKramer

Thanks for the feedback, Duncan - we'll look into the mosaic dataset issue. @JeffBishop and @ChristophKönig1 please let me know if you have additional input about how your work is going with the current interactive profile tool, specifically as related to displaying where you are along the line and exploring that information.

Cheers,

Kory