Import Label Symbology

06-29-2010 11:17 AM
Labels (1)
ScottBrown3
New Contributor II

Similar button to Import... on the Symbology tab of the Layer Properties, but on the Labels tab instead.

Would allow you to Import Label Symbology from another layer in the map or a saved layer file.  It would also be nice if it not only imported the label symbology, but also any Label Field expressions, SQL Queries, Symbol Classes, and Placement Properties associated with the layer you are trying to match.

28 Comments
DanielBrenner

I’m sorry but none of the Maplex issues in the link are relevant to the issues I have right now and this is not a matter of more labels on my map.

I also really am in the dark as to what the Notes are saying—I am unfamiliar with the software that created them.

Please read this more carefully:

The PowerPoint is the procedure I am using to label my layers. What I was thinking of doing at one point was seeing if Model Builder could take the steps I used to create the labels and create a Model from them.

The other issue(s) I was thinking of was once I had created labels for one layer, how could I create a template (more appropriately called a Schema) for the field order in the shapefile that could be applied to 9 layers?

I did find that creating a new Feature Class with fields in the right order and in similar/same formats as the original shapefiles/feature layers and then importing the layers and their fields was a good way to go, because in the Simple Data Loader there was a Step that allowed for multiple layers with similar fields to be imported into the Feature Class and its schema, although not all of the fields from the Feature Class matched up with the fields in the shapefile, even if they were identical in the format??

The same type of thing with the Simple Data Loader and the Feature Class(es) would be nice to have if it could be done with labels and all of their specs (colors, sizes of symbols, distances, expressions, SQL queries, etc).

Unfortunately as of now the ESRI Tech said that Model Builder doesn’t have the functionality to create Models for properties such as Labels.

Hope this clarifies things.

Daniel T. Brenner

RESEARCH ANALYST I (GEOGRAPHIC INFORMATION SYSTEMS)

DIVISION OF RESEARCH, INNOVATION, and SYSTEM INFORMATION

Highway System Information and Performance

1120 N Street MS 38

Sacramento, CA 95814

(916) 657-4277

(510) 593-7547 cell

daniel.brenner@dot.ca.gov<mailto:daniel.brenner@dot.ca.gov>

“Consider the unconsidered.”

“Certainty is not a sure thing!”

WendyHarrison

Hi Daniel,

I don't see a power point for your workflow.  Please attach or outline here.  The best way forward at this time may be to just list out what data you have and what end result you are looking for.  

thanks

Wendy

CraigPennington

Yes, please!

DanielBrenner

Wendy,

Since I don't see a way to attach a PowerPoint I will let this go for now, unless you don't mind me emailing you at your ESRI email?  The other side of that is that I have moved on from this project and will be working on a different one shortly so for the most part the issues have been put to sleep (although I will say I did create my first Feature Class with fields in a more relevant order for identifying points for 9 counties!)

Slightly related to this though is that I still am in a phase of exporting .dbf tables into MS Excel to convert to .csv and then running custom scripts to obtain the values I need and then exporting into .csv and then .dbf files and then joining back to the Shapefiles I initially created.     For this and when I open up the .dbf in MS Excel to edit, the field order is constantly different from the one I have in ArcGIS.    This is an even bigger issue as it adds to the amount of overhead time needed for simple operations. 

Essentially my question is how do I maintain the same field order when opening a .dbf in MS Excel, as well as when I joint it back into ArcGIS?  

Thanks,

Daniel T. Brenner

RESEARCH ANALYST I (GEOGRAPHIC INFORMATION SYSTEMS)

DIVISION OF RESEARCH, INNOVATION, and SYSTEM INFORMATION

Highway System Information and Performance

1120 N Street MS 38

Sacramento, CA  95814

(916) 657-4277

(510) 593-7547 cell

IrvanSalim

Hi Wendy Harrison,

So I managed to save the label position into a style as Maplex label placement.

Now, how do I import it to another feature layer? There is no option to import the previously saved label position.

Note: The copy label class method as suggested by Kory Kramer‌ in other discussions does not apply to my case, as I can only add feature classes associated to a parcel fabric once to the same map. There is no point if the suggestion is to use two different maps consisting of a source feature class in one map and a target feature class in another just to perform this copy-paste of label properties.

Please advise!

Thanks.

WendyHarrison

Hi

Once you've saved either the text symbol or placement to a style it will show up in the gallery.  you can select it from there and it will apply to the new label class.  In the image below you can see my new Wendy Stream text symbol and my new style placement style in the galleries.  

Hope this helps

Wendy

IrvanSalim

I can see them.

Thank you so much!

WendyHarrison
Status changed to: Closed

I'm going to close out this idea as we have different ways to share. if none of these cover your use case please log a new idea.

save text symbol and label placement styles
https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/mapping/layer-properties/save-symbols-in-styles.htm
The label expression and sql query can be saved out and shared as .lxp and .exp files

copy & paste from other layers
https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/mapping/text/label-classes.htm

saving layer files
https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/sharing/overview/save-a-layer-file.htm