Icons for custom geoprocessing tools - ArcGIS Pro

10-16-2020 08:03 AM
Labels (1)
JeremyGraham
New Contributor II

In ArcMap 10.X one could create and assign custom icons that could be added to the toolbar. In ArcGIS Pro there is nice ability to add custom tools/scripttools to the ribbon, however it seems that the ability to add the icons did not make it and the only option is the default scrollpaper icon. For those who often create customized tools for sponsors it would add a nice finishing touch.

8 Comments
KoryKramer

This is also logged with technical support as [ENH-000102786: Customize the Symbol used to represent a custom model in the Analysis Gallery].  If you prefer to track this through the ENH, you can contact support to get attached. 

The plan is to provide this functionality through setting the thumbnail in the tool's metadata - the thumbnail will be scaled to display in the analysis gallery and custom ribbon locations.

DeanAnderson2

Have not been able to find this.  Any idea what release this is planned for? 

KoryKramer

Hi @DeanAnderson2 while the team has this in the backlog (Under Consideration) it is not currently assigned to a release.  There may be higher priority issues that need to be addressed in the near-term, so unfortunately I can't provide a great answer other than 2.9 should be available in the next week or so and we know it didn't make it in there.  Because 3.0 is a major version release requiring attention to larger framework issues, it is more likely this will be planned for a post-3.0 release.

DrewFlater
Status changed to: In Product Plan

In ArcGIS Pro 3.2, you can set the tool Icon in the tool Properties window on the General page. This icon is used whenever the tool is placed on the ribbon, in a Tools gallery, or on the Quick Access Toolbar. You can click the Icon to change it. 

DrewFlater_0-1692653654795.png

MargaretCrawford
Status changed to: Implemented

This Idea has been implemented in ArcGIS Pro 3.2. Please see the What's New documentation for more new features in Pro 3.2.
The Your Ideas in ArcGIS Pro 3.2 blog and video have been posted to the Esri Community blog. You can take a look at these to see your idea and all others that were implemented in this release of ArcGIS Pro.

DanGreene

Hi all,

I would like to be able to create a toolbox, then create a tool with a custom icon showing by the tool instead of the scroll icon.  When I go into properties and select my custom icon it shows up in the properties box by the icon word but never makes it to the tool in the toolbox ArcCatalog view.  This would be very helpful since there are no longer python add-ins.  It would also allow us to not change a lot of documentation that shows the icon for a tool and be more acceptable to the user since the Add-in will be gone.

At this point I think it is a bug, but I cannot say for sure.  I am sure that no python ADD-IN ended our creation of ADD-INs and having the ICON on the tools in the toolbox would nicely replace the pretty fluff of the Add-In.

Dan

DanGreene

OK - not a bug - just a different design than I expected:

DanGreene_0-1707147356862.png

MargaretCrawford

Hello @DanGreene

Yes, the custom icons will not display in the Catalog view. The places you will see the icons are in the Analysis Tool Gallery, the Quick Access toolbar, and on the Ribbon. 

You can learn more about this update here: https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-pro/analytics/geoprocessing-enhancements-in-arcgis-...