Select to view content in your preferred language

How to clear\define the coordinate system of a particular layer in catalog of ArcGIS Pro?

08-19-2019 11:49 AM
Labels (1)
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

How to clear\define the coordinate system of a particular layer in catalog of ArcGIS Pro?

This option appears to be not available in ArcGIS Pro

This idea is already discussed here

How to define the coordinate system of a layer while working in catalog of ArcGIS Pro,

rawan saleh‌, Majdoleen Awadallah

23 Comments
SteveIrving

I agree with the comments above as well.  Most especially Greg's (@GregoryLund2 ) extremely eloquent reply.  

Yet another reason GIS 'Professionals' cannot migrate to "Pro".  Any 'professional' version of an application should include ALL  previous functionality. 

Data is the heart of GIS and the professional user needs to retain absolute control over the details of those data.  The 'help' that Pro provides to allow novice users to avoid egregious mistakes is an encumbrance to the professional user. Professionals do not want or need that crutch especially when it makes data qa/qc more difficult than it inherently is or, worse as in this case, impossible.

WilliamGillman

Agreed - this is the failsafe option for troubleshooting coordinate systems and transformations. Would be good to have it back. 

GregoryLund2

Happy 2023!
I was happy to receive email notifications that this thread has new comments, and to realize that it is still active.

Wanted to thank @SteveIrving (SteveIrving) for the mention in regards to my post.

&

Thank you to for August 19, 2019 OP @JamalNUMAN JamalNUMAN

I just re-read my post within this thread from October 16, 2019, and it appears that this issue is the same as it was in 2019.

My students (today) use a combination of ArcDesktop (Map/Catalog etc.) and ArcPro (also 'Desktop' it seems) to accommodate deficiencies in one or the other. While some employers are asking for ArcPro experience and education, I'm still seeing ArcGIS Desktop (Pre-Pro) listed on Job announcements.

WillAnderson

I respectfully upvote the option to clear in Pro as we could in ArcMap. We regularly get shapefile data exported from farm management software (even from the world's largest tractor manufacturers) with an incorrect projection defined.

KoryKramer

Thank you for the comment @WillAnderson Please be sure to add a kudo to the idea to increment the count. Thank you!

WillAnderson

Done!

GregoryLund2

@KoryKramer  and @WillAnderson Thank you both!
And, side/off topic note, Kory, it's been ~10 years since we met in the UW cohort, right? Time flies!

CPHSDnelson

Has anyone found a good work around for this issue?  

NeilFordyce

I have been using ESRI products for 30 years and have been a GIS Consultant for 16 years.

I cannot work with ArcGIS PRO unless I also have ArcCatalog 10.8 open on another screen.

All of my clients are told to make sure they have ArcMAP installed as they CANNOT be serious about managing GIS data with PRO alone. None of my clients (which includes large organisation) use ArcGIS Server and day to day work is still File based.

ArcGIS PRO is the way ahead and I do all map creation in it but as for data reviews and management.. forget it.

Desktop 10.8, Python and C# is my only solution.

C# and arcobjects are used to create thumbnails en masse (where is the tool for that), Python to bulk edit metadata fields based on data set name components and Desktop 10 is absolutely vital to assess where data sits when it does not have a project assigned to it.

N.

NeilFordyce

ps.. where is the script to identify duplicated data??? There is no way I am going to iterate through feature compare to 10,000 shapefiles because the comparisons are exponential.

I have used C# to generate checksums for the shapefile components as a group so that I can identify duplicated data.

The GIS world I see is not what the ESRI developers are testing on.

N