Have the same symbology across ArcGIS Pro, ArcMap, Portal for ArcGIS, and ArcGIS online.

02-19-2019 11:48 AM
Labels (1)
KevinChristy1
Occasional Contributor

So I figured that if there was some consistency between the symbology you find across all the Esri platforms, it would would help streamline some processes and shouldn't be too difficult to pull off. For example, one of the Crime Analysts where I work was trying to perform some analysis in ArcGIS Pro instead of Portal due to some issues in Portal. However, when it came time to create and share her map, the symbology she used for a certain feature;

only exists on Portal for ArcGIS or AGOL (minus a convoluted workaround). I searched for the AGOL symbology to import into Pro to no avail. Let make a style file (stylx) of these!

12 Comments
KoryKramer

See the section called Add styles from ArcGIS Online: Add styles to a project—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

KevinChristy1

Fantastic, so its a matter of just needing to know what to search for. That being said, your solution so far only covers the "Transportation" category, what should I search for to get the other styles:

If all these just came standard with ArcGIS Pro and ArcMap, it would make things much smoother.

In the meantime, if you know what .stylx file cover the "Safety Health" category, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

BillFox

Hi Kory,

Does "Already Offered" tell us that Kevin's (Esri universal platform symbology) idea is implemented as he suggested and we'll see it in 10.7 / 2.4?

Or, does it tell us to use the one-off work around(s) as needed?

That idea status sounds a lot like "Implemented".

KoryKramer

Hey Bill and Kevin Christy‌.

I had marked this as Already Offered based on the "one car" example and the fact that this can already be accomplished with the Explorer style.  Since Kevin's response, I've been chasing this around here a bit to find out more.

I think that it is valid to reset the idea to Reviewed as the ideal would be to have styles match across the platform.  Kevin, correct me if I'm wrong, but my interpretation is that since you see a Safety Health collection of symbols in ArcGIS Online, you would want to have the same symbol collection available in Pro, correct?  Or if you see the collection of National Park Service symbols in Online, you'd want to have a National Park Service .stylx to use in ArcGIS Pro.  Right?

I'll also set the expectation that if at some point in the future these were able to be synced up, it would likely be for ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS Online and ArcGIS Enterprise, not necessarily ArcMap...

KevinChristy1

Kory Kramer‌, yes that is exactly right. Also yes, I just threw ArcMap in there to cover the whole spectrum. I mostly use Pro myself.

CFrate
by

This is something that has frequently come up for me. I primarily use Pro for Desktop and have often deployed ArcGIS pre-configured solutions to AGOL. But frequently I want to take the custom symbologies that come in the deployed solutions and apply them to other AGOL-hosted layers, and usually this is not an option in an AGOL map. The workaround appears to be downloading the AGOL-hosted dataset, resetting the symbols in Pro for the local copy, and then overwriting the AGOL-hosted dataset with the local one, which isn't a very useful workaround.

Ideally, any symbol set assigned to an ArcGIS Solution would be available in AGOL.

TimMinter

Kevin Christy‌,

Thanks for posting this idea.  It's been one of those low-priority annoyances for me for years.  I'd style some data, author a feature service, publish it to ArcGIS Online or ArcGIS Enterprise (nee "Portal for ArcGIS"), and...  then I'd have to go and style everything again.  Thought I just did that.

So, I can see where we would not necessarily need styling parity across the entire ArcGIS platform, in that some heavy-duty styling is more appropriate in Desktop apps.  I'd like for Esri to consider employing the principle - "If the style is available in ArcGIS Online or ArcGIS Enterprise, then it should be readily available by default in ArcGIS Pro (just going with the idea that ArcMap, etc. are lost causes).

tim

TimMinter

Hi Kory Kramer‌,

Do you know of a way for me to add the ArcGIS Online / ArcGIS Enterprise map symbol styles to ArcGIS Pro?  I dug into your approach indicated above, but didn't find success.

My business need is to author a map service that I then publish to ArcGIS Online and to ArcGIS Enterprise.  I want to style the data in ArcGIS Pro before publishing so I only have to do it once.

thx,

tim

JamesVan_Schoick

Kory Kramer‌ is there any update from your February post as to when the Styles will be available across platforms? 

Thought I'd ask.

Thanks!

RobBuckhouse

My workaround for moving symbology from ArcMap to ArcPro is to save my symbolized layer from ArcMap out to a LYR file and then bring that LYR into ArcPro. There, I can save the symbology into my STYLX.