Have Project Templates not create copies of data

07-05-2017 01:51 PM
Labels (1)
TrippCorbin
Occasional Contributor

I have been playing with project templates and noticed a behavior that seems dangerous to me. If I create a template that has a map with layers in it and I use that template to create a new project, instead of just referencing the original data ArcGIS Pro creates a copy of that data in a new geodatabase with the same name as the original. There is no warning it has created this copy. If you are paying close attention, you will not realize you are working on a copy of the data.

It would make more sense for the template to reference the new project and maps back to the original data source unless otherwise indicated via an option or something. I should point out I am working entirely with file geodatabases and have not tested this on an SDE database.  

19 Comments
SBrandenburg

Still happening in 2.6.2 I create a project template, do NOT share outside of my organization, and it still creates copies of all the data stored on our server, which is unnecessary and undesirable. In my case, the issue is creating copies of statewide PLSS data, which are very large files. Every new ArcPro project ends up being nearly 1 GB. Has anyone figured out how to avoid this issue? 

I need to save my Project Templates on our server, and reference the data on our server. I don't need any copies of any of the data. 

SBrandenburg

This is still happening in 2.7.3. ESRI do you have any plans to address this issue? Seems like a pretty serious one that has persisted for years. 

JesseClark

This still seems to be an issue as of v2.8

smschaepe

Still an issue with v2.8.1. Unchecking the "Share outside of organization" does not work.

GS3
by

Still same problem on 2.8.3.

I can't create templates for my company under these circumstances 😕

I don'nt want 2 gb of not updated datas copied every time i create a new project !!

CalvinHarmin

Tripp and others, just want to say thank you for the pointers about using UNC paths to avoid the Project Template to not copy data, that was driving me nuts.  This seems like it could be an easy fix by providing additional checkboxes to RE-Confirm that you want NO data copied no matter what, and you're OK with links being potentially broken for people with alternative drive mappings.

I'm on version 2.9 btw

ChrisYoung2

I would love to have this not happen. It might also make template creation faster and save room on storage space. I wish ESRI would look into this and take care of it.

ErikBreedon

Is this fixed in Pro 3.1?

EricMahaffey1

Still a problem at version 3.1.3!  What's the point of having an Enterprise GIS when it's full of data duplication?  I can't believe this hasn't been fixed in the 7 years that people have been posting to this thread.