Graphical User Interface for Dynamic Text

02-26-2020 10:15 AM
Labels (1)
SamJenkins1
New Contributor III

I had an ArcGIS Pro user who would like to see a little more guidance when adding dynamic text.

1. She was looking/couldn't find relative scale text. It's not very clear that Dynamic Text should be where to look, maybe just a name change?

2. When you add a North Arrow, Scale Bar, Legend, etc, you get a nice user interface that enables you to define parameters. My user was frustrated that the same thing didn't exist for Dynamic Text, in this case relative scale text. I imagine the Element window could read the parameters referred to in the text and search through the layout for acceptable options and provide them as a drop down.

Cheers

Sam

2 Comments
KoryKramer

Did you discover the dynamic text interface by going to the Properties of the dynamic text element in the layout?

Then there is a link to Modify dynamic text—Layouts | Documentation 

Just trying to gauge whether this more of a discoverability issue, or a functionality issue.  Definitely seems like discoverability based on the description.

SamJenkins1

Kory,

Once I pointed the user to Dynamic Text as the place to find relative scale text there was consternation (I think not too strong a word) about having to do, "you know, programming." What they were looking for was much more akin to an ArcMap interface:

I'm a poke-around-and-figure-it-out kind of person and I've noticed the help for dynamic text improve dramatically over the last few years. Nevertheless, I understand the perspective of a quite experienced desktop GIS user who'd like the simplicity of the old interface.

That interface has been built into the tools for scale bar, north arrow, etc.

Hope that clarifies.

Cheers

Sam