Geoprocessing History in Metadata

11-08-2011 02:14 PM
Labels (1)
BillMyers
New Contributor II
I recommend 2 changes related to the geoprocessing history stored in the metadata:

1. Allow users to enable/disable storing geoprocessing history in the metadata
2. In the metadata editor, allow the geoprocessing history items to be deleted in mass and one by one
16 Comments
Natalie_Runyan

In addition, I would appreciate the option to add the geoprocessing step that was used to generate the initial feature class.  This has been requested in another form, as in to carry forward geoprocessing history from input feature classes that result in new features.  In my example, we'd like to see the configuration parameters for our annotation feature classes show up in the metadata without having to manually transfer them.  The create annotation from feature labels tool runs, and provides the details on reference scale, cardinality, etc in the annotation layer's properties, but none of this info is included in the metadata, nor is it formatted in way that is easy to cleanly copy/paste from the feature class Properties.

RyanDavis1

I'll add that this could be considered a security issue by some organizations.  Full file paths, including network drives, are included in metadata and some groups might not be keen on inadvertently publicizing this.

KoryKramer
1. Allow users to enable/disable storing geoprocessing history in the metadata

In ArcGIS Pro, see Geoprocessing history—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

2. In the metadata editor, allow the geoprocessing history items to be deleted in mass and one by one

It looks like in the metadata's Geoprocessing History, one could individually choose to export (or not) processes.

If the main use case is when sharing exported metadata, see Export metadata to a standard format—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

PaulHoefflerGISS

Kory Kramer‌, unfortunately we can't stop geoprocessing history from writing to the metadata when using Python packaged with Pro due to #BUG-000128506 Arcpy.SetLogHistory(False) is inconsistent when running in a python script in a Python 3 environment.

On the second point, based on testing reported by Esri Technical Support, exporting the metadata from Pro without Sensitive Information or Machine Names and then importing it back into Pro will not remove this information from the source metadata. We need to redact the embedded metadata.

Please let me know if you find either of these not to be the case, or have additional thoughts on point #2.

Thanks!

NaicongLi
Status changed to: Under Consideration

NaicongLi
Status changed to: In Product Plan