Incorporate the 4-color tool into ArcGIS

03-22-2011 09:14 AM
Labels (1)
MaraKaminowitz
Occasional Contributor

Often there is a need to differentiate polygons by color independent of value or category, i.e. when creating a map of Census tracts or zip codes for a region. The current options are:

1. Have ArcMap color 1,000+ polygons individually
2. Use something like the 4-color script to create a new feature with a color field and symbolize from that.

#1 takes forever and can crash ArcMap. #2 is also time consuming and not always possible if you are need to work with an original file that can't/shouldn't be altered.

It would be great if there was some sort of native 4-color symbology option in ArcMap.

20 Comments
JohnMDye

Makes a lot more sense now. Thanks

JerryChase2

Here is a Five (5) Color Map solution which has worked for me: https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=5fa04ce288284c999f70464e1c3b2e82 just in case someone else needs something now.

feralcatcolonist_old

A visibility bump. While I'm glad that a tool is downloadable from the Community, this functionality has been native in QGIS since 3.X released in 2018.

With such an expansion in cartographic options that have been added in recent years (blend modes, color blind simulator, etc.), I'd love to add this to the toolbelt as a built-in.

LarsArneson

I would be a huge fan of this polygon coloring option.

MeleKoneya

I would like to see this added to Pro.    

CraigWilliams
Status changed to: Under Consideration

wayfaringrob

This would be great; I've gone so far as to manually group values in unique value symbology, which is quite time consuming.

JonasJansson

This is so important. Surprised it hasn't been implemented yet.

Bud
by

Merged from a separate idea.

It would be helpful if we could do this automatically:
Symbolize polygons so that touching features have different colors — using only four colors

Bud_0-1691556091012.png

Explanation: YouTube - Math’s Famous Map Problem: The Four Color Theorem

MErikReedAugusta

Having been pointed here from a related idea, I'm equally shocked that people have been asking for this for over a decade and glad that it's at least finally in "Under Consideration."

This feels like something that should be able to be coded into the back-end of the symbology engine to run automatically and efficiently without needing external scripts & temporary fields.  It seems like a no-brainer to me, and I'd love to see it finally hit the roadmap.