Fix performance issues please

11-08-2010 03:16 PM
mattwilkie
Occasional Contributor III
There are persistent reports of many people having major performance issues with ArcGIS 10 desktop on hardware configurations that meet and beat the recommended specifications, some of them by a fair margin. Please fix quickly. We want to take advantage of the new features but the serious slow down in basic activities like editing means we are paying a serious tax in terms of our time.

Please see http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/8386-Desktop-ArcGIS-10-Really-Slow for more info.

thank you.
75 Comments
MikeSmith
I'm disappointed too.  I bought a brand new high-powered workstation, 64 bit Win 7 with 12 GB ram, installed ArcGIS 10 and found it to be EXTEMELY SLOW.  Over the months I've installed service pack 1, but it's still very slow.  My experience with 10 is that is has some new features that are nice, but the performance is completely underwhelming.  I will not upgrade any other machines to 10 until this is resolved.  But how long must everyone wait for this to be fixed?  I keep looking for some feaute that's turned on, or something obscure that's cauging the bottleneck, but so far it's a consistent SLOW experience.  When do we get this fixed?
DarylHarrison
Editing symbols, opening MXD's, editing FC's.... All much slower that previous versions. To bad the main functionality of the application has suffered so much.
JorgeAcevedo1
ArcGIS 10, with the installed Service Pack two, is still amazingly SLOWER than 9.3.1

In a consulting firm, time is money, and I can honestly say that my internal and external clients are NOT getting their money's worth. It is completely impractical to use ArcGIS 10.0 and I'm seriously considering calling to forum all GIS professionals in my firm to revert 9.3.1.
MichelleHeath
I can not count the number of time I have been editing and it just crashes. Also a simple thing like saving and map is taking at least 25 seconds. My productivity is down while my workload is up since I just got back from maternity leave. ArcGIS is inhibiting not helping my performance and workflow.
BradFindlay
I am gritting my teeth and dealing with the general slowness of Arc 10 in consideration of the new enhancements that have been incorperated at this version, but the slowness during editing has to be fixed. I am not being very productive with this version as I tipically wait 5-6 second per edit for my screen to refresh and show the changes and that is just barley acceptable...
FrancoisFord
I have pretty much all the issues listed below. Please can you make it stable and truely multithreaded / multi core?

by Anonymous User
Idem. Please can you make it stable and truely multithreaded / multi core? It's a shame that it is so SLOW. And the cost of support could justify some real answers in France...
BettyAlex
OPDCA wrote: " I bought a brand new high-powered workstation, 64 bit Win 7 with 12 GB ram, installed ArcGIS 10 and found it to be EXTEMELY SLOW.  Over the months I've installed service pack 1, but it's still very slow.  My experience with 10 is that is has some new features that are nice, but the performance is completely underwhelming. "  DITTO.  Terribly frustrating.  I have my old, slow, XP computer that is still running 9.3.2 set up for remote access and often it is far faster to use the remote computer!  UGH!
DavidWheelock
I, too, am running a workhorse 64Bit 16GB computer.

My ArcMap 10 crashes on startup 10% to 50% of the time.  It crashed during an ESRI staff-performed demo during our local user user group user group meeting 3 days ago.  This does not happen at 9.3.1, which remains much more stable.  10 broke it and it's still not fixed.

I can't believe ESRI is getting all tingly about all the new features in 10.1 when they still haven't gotten 10 stable yet.

Please, ESRI, give us a MAJOR QA/QC release on 10.0 and get it stable before moving forward with 10.1.
CordulaGöke
For me at the moment also stability, reliability and performance would be more important issues than new fancy features. The problems started already with the start of the ArcGIS  series. I started e.g. to use mdb to be able to do field calculations with MS Access which actually has not the reputation of being fast and to use open source products and ArcINFO WS. Some colleagues still use their old ArcView. In theory ArcGIS is great and has the widest spectrum of tools compared to the other GIS I foundt but that is no use if it is not even coming close to the performance of the other programs and is not completely reliable.