Fix performance issues please

11-08-2010 03:16 PM
mattwilkie
Occasional Contributor III
There are persistent reports of many people having major performance issues with ArcGIS 10 desktop on hardware configurations that meet and beat the recommended specifications, some of them by a fair margin. Please fix quickly. We want to take advantage of the new features but the serious slow down in basic activities like editing means we are paying a serious tax in terms of our time.

Please see http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/8386-Desktop-ArcGIS-10-Really-Slow for more info.

thank you.
75 Comments
JimScace
I agree with all the comments so far.  I am really frustrated that the spin from sales was how wonderful and improved arcgis 10 was.  The performance and lag between things like "calculate" are terrible.  Calculating a field for ONE record in a feature class of ONE feature can be a 5-6 second lag.  Overall performance is pretty slow and I am also back to rebooting daily whether I need it or not to clear things up.  I also get temporary  hangs which will clear up after loooonnnnnngggg waits.  My machine is new, robust, jammed with memory, disk space and multiple cores.
DougCampbell1
This is crap already, what use to take 10minutes now takes a half hour. And I am on a brand new machine. What a joke.
GabrielMcMahan1
Painfully slow after being used to 9.3.1
ChrisFox

As you encounter performance issues I would encourage everyone to submit the issue to Technical Support with as much information as you can think to include and we will do our part in minimizing the additional amount of follow-up that is required of you.

Often these performance issues are not consistently reproducible and can occur randomly during normal use of the application. I would argue that this is just as good a time to contact Technical Support as any. We will do our best to diagnose these performance issues and help you overcome them.

I can say that when reviewing these issues in the comments, we do our best to attempt to replicate the issue first before pointing customers to technical support. If we can reproduce it, there is no need for any additional work on the customer's side, we will log it and provide the defect ID back. This is the same work-flow for our support team when you submit a defect.

Identifying and resolving defects in the software is very important to Esri and we appreciate your feedback and the details that you are able to provide to assist us with this task

AndrewGilbert2
This is the most buggy version to date.  I've used freeware with fewer issues.  ESRI should be ashamed to release such a product.  Did they actually test this themselves?
VickiGazzola

I'm really disappointed with ArcGIS 10.  It is so much slower than 9.3.1 that I may have to switch back. It's really negatively affecting my productivity.

KarlMagnusson
 Downgrading is under consideration...
DavidZimmerman2
I am running ArcGIS 10 desktop on a QuadCore with an NVIDIA 7900, four gig of ram Windows 7 64 bit and I am forever waiting.  The software just seems slow compared to using the same maps in 9.3. Perhaps the software developers should not be allowed high end computers.   Someone please address this. 
StevenFama1
V10, Very slow to open just the program.  Then take 3 minutes to open a basic MDX.

Can't dock the tool bar between Table of Contant and ArcMap.  Why????

In my mind, Arc 3.1 was the best.  It Seems like with evey new release, the more functions they add slow us down.

Poor  work ESRI, poor work!!!!
NealPanken
Relatively new Desktop PC with Windows 7.   Loaded up ArcGIS 10.0 and noticed considerable degradation on geoprocessing data over the network.  It is not my imagination.  Have to rewrite serveral 9.3 working scripts so they can work in ArcGIS 10 with smaller data sets.   Add Data is panfully slow.  Where is the official reaction to this?   Back to the 1990's?