Fix performance issues please

11-08-2010 03:16 PM
mattwilkie
Occasional Contributor III
There are persistent reports of many people having major performance issues with ArcGIS 10 desktop on hardware configurations that meet and beat the recommended specifications, some of them by a fair margin. Please fix quickly. We want to take advantage of the new features but the serious slow down in basic activities like editing means we are paying a serious tax in terms of our time.

Please see http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/8386-Desktop-ArcGIS-10-Really-Slow for more info.

thank you.
75 Comments
AlexLechner
Very slow even with SP1.
Public_HealthObservatory
Brand new machine. ArcGIS 10 is pretty much the only thing installed on it. Machine exceeds the hardware requirements... ArcGIS hangs constantly, crashes often, and is otherwise painfully slow. Ran somewhat better on my former machine built in 2007. The excuses for my poor productivity are starting to wear thing. This is totally inacceptable. ESRI, when building software, how about doing so for your average user, and not those with $6000 workstations? We pay for your softwre too. It's pretty pathetic that I have to turn on my old machine and fire up ArcView 3.1 to complete some tasks, and in a fraction of the time...
PattiHaggerty

Horrible performance - I keep trying every tweak suggested to no avail.  Adding web services that worked great in 9.3.1 like Bing now break a map. Crashes frequently and otherwise is painfully slow. How can it be this bad? Like everyone else, I am thinking of switching back....

MiguelGarriga1

Adding my vote to promote the Performance issue.  Would favor faster performance over obscure bells and whistles.

KirkHayer
ArcMap has become increasingly slow to open.  When I first installed ArcGIS 10, performance seemed good, but I use it on exiting map documents, it is opening slower and slower.  Noted that some MXD are very large even after a Defrag. 
  • What has changed in ArcGIS 10 that makes the MXD so much large? 
  • Why is it much much slower to open an ArcMap document?
LB3
by
Performance in ArcGIS 10 is appallingly slow. I am finding that a simple intersection or symmetrical difference takes all night, and I've been waiting on a conversion of a fishnet grid to polygons for over 24 hours now. Nothing fancy or automated, I am simply calling the Arc Toolbox functions through the UI, one at a time. Version 9 could perform all these tasks, on the same datasets, in an hour at most. I could uninstall and reinstall version 9 if I make an appointment with our systems admin, but guess what? I have already updated all my python scripts (at a great cost of time and energy) to work with Arc 10.
So I have decided to carry out as much of this processing as possible in R (using the libraries rgdal, PBSmapping, maptools, sp and raster) or in QGIS, which is rapidly gaining in functionality.
If ESRI can improve the performance of version 10, I might think of using it again for slick visualisation or selected functions, but so far everything is working like a dream with these free and open source alternatives.

RueenfangWang
Just upgraded to ArcGIS 10.  I am disapponited to find out that doing everything in 10 is much slower than in 9.3.  I am relieved that I am not alone, and suprised by the fact that ESRI has not fixed this problem for such a long time. 
TedSwiecki
It's absurd that ESRI cannot seem to get its core product working at an acceptable level.  The hangs and crashes keep going on well after the original release.  Perhaps ESRI could spend less effort spinning off countless side products and concentrate on getting it's core product to work acceptably.  GIven the cost of this software, there is no excuse to be wasting users' time on clearly defective software.

In case you couldn't tell, yes, I am peeved.
AaronMulhollen
Terrible version.  The Windows ME version of GIS.  Crashes, excessive page-faulting on 4 GB of RAM, horrible metadata editor. 
RayMangan
 Wanted to add in here that my productivity has gone down as well, since upgarding to 10.