Export PDF maps with Hyperlinks active

01-24-2011 10:41 AM
Labels (1)
BrianJohnson
New Contributor III

The ability to link features by using hyperlinks is great.

GPS cameras have made taking photos with geographic location and orientation very easy.  Making a point feature with this information, as well as a hyperlink to the photo file location is a great way to create an interactive map.  Clicking on a point can bring up the photo - just like the Panoramo feature on Google Maps.

However - you have to have a copy of the ESRI software to use this feature.  I think it would be a great tool to be able to export a map to PDF format and have the PDF retain these hyperlinks.  This would allow you to send a PDF maps with a folder of photos to a client - and they could use the map to view the photos quite easily.

Making a mapbook with an overview map, with hyperlinks to the inset maps within the same PDF would also be useful.  The PDF would appear to be an interactive map - clicking on areas to zoom in, with 'click here to go back to the overview map' links on each inset map.

41 Comments
MichelleGreene
Seriously, I NEED this functionality ASAP!
JonBall
Only one question - When????
DanMcCoy
I can see how "marked content" might be needed to support hyperlinking complex shapes and maybe angled text, but link annotations can be used to create invisible rectangles that link to URIs;
http://wwwimages.adobe.com/www.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/devnet/pdf/pdfs/PDF32000_2008.pdf#page...

With all of the other advanced features of exported PDFs, it seems easy enough for an ArcGIS developer to capture hypertext bounding rectangles in the layout and draw the corresponding anno links...

DmitryAleshkovsky
Create hyperlink for objects on map layout (labels first of all, graphics...)
1/ When we export map pages to one PDF document with Data Driven Page we can have hyperlink on pages to navigate top/bottom/left/right/index page
2/ We can add hyperlink to the site for company name label or logo picture

we all use hyperlinks in other types of documents, why not in the map?
AdamForknall
Hyperlinks can be created in Acrobat Pro, but I agree that creating them in the map should be implemented for better workflow
JurajKrumpolec
Much needed fix. Without hyperlinks the map is dead and so is ArcMap.
Requested also in Layout Text Enhancements.
MargaretM
Yes! Please! I have hundreds of links in a map document that would be easy to pop out into a PDF for a easy map for the public.  BUT as it stands right now, it looks like I have to manually recreate them all in Adobe! 
DanielMeaney
I agree - especially adding functionality to Data Driven Pages map books: clicking on an object (grid polygon or text) in the PDF map to move between pages.  If not, would like to generate a tabular index with hyperlinks to pages (e.g.,  Atlas.PDF#page=15).
MattBenjamin
Our group would like this to be able to post multiple links per poly on a PDF map, for end users to have multiple sources of info about each poly.
LouisJohnson
This function wold save me a lot of work.